4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2013 9:22 AM by philmodjunk

Please help me make new layout with similar fields

GabrielleRocque

Title

Please help me make new layout with similar fields

I am making a database in which I collect the same information at different time points.  I created the first time point layout with about 60 fields.  Is there a way to copy this layout, but change the fields so that they are not automatically filled from the first layout?  For example, I would like the first sheet to have a field Name.1 and the second to have a field Name.2.  I do not want to create 10 of the same layouts if I don't need to.  I tried duplicating and changing the names of the field, but it just changed the first field names also.

• 1. Re: Please help me make new layout with similar fields
          philmodjunk

I don't understand why this would require a new layout. If you add a field to identify the "time point", you can simply create a new record on your existing layout and enter a different value in that additional field to distinguish the new "time point" from the original.

To answer your specific question, you could use Duplicate layout to make a copy of your original layout, then, while in layout mode double click each field in order to open a dialog where you can select a different field--but I strongly recommend against doing that to accomplish what you describe here.

• 2. Re: Please help me make new layout with similar fields
            davidanders

You might find some of these links useful  -  I would read the first 5....

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/f6ed4be796?commentId=222931#222931

• 3. Re: Please help me make new layout with similar fields
              GabrielleRocque

Thank you for the comments.  I think I need to explain more.  The database is being used for a medical chart review of cancer patients.  Each record is one patients.  I have a layout for demographic, diagnosis, ect.  What I am trying to do is make a layout for each line of treatment.  Within each line of treatment, there are many datapoints to enter/collect.  The information will change with time.  For example, a patient might have cancer in the bone with therapy 1 and by therapy 2 have both bone and lung.  I have fields in the treatment with identifies is they have disease in each site.  I also will have details of each therapy.  This is why I would like to recreate the same fields, but have them be unique in a new layout.  The layout for treatment 2 should look like treatment 1 in terms of which fields it has, but I want to be able to enter the new data for that treatment.  I anticipate that some patients will have up to 10 lines of treatment, so there would be 10 layouts describing their treatment.  Does this make more sense?  It is more complex than simply chaning the timepoint (I think).

• 4. Re: Please help me make new layout with similar fields
                philmodjunk

It does not change my initial comments. If the data being recorded is the same (You can use the same or nearly the same set of data fields), then you can enter that data in the same table. A key thing to understand is we are talking Tables, not Layouts. You can have any number of layouts in your database and they can all refer to the same table, so simply creating a new layout does not do what you have asked anyway, you have to take a look at the underlying tables and how they are linked in relationships.

In your case, you clearly need more than a single table of patients, you need one or more related tables to track their treatment.