4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 11:42 AM by davelee

Please Help with a logic field result thanks

davelee

Title

Please Help with a logic field result thanks

I am new to this and I am trying to make a horseracing result database.

Using FMP 10 I have the starter course for VTC by John Osborne and I also bought The Missing Manuel but I'm still struggling

I have two Calculating Fields that hold the Possible Win amount which is simply Stake times odds 

and the Possible Loss Field which is a minus Stake

I have a Field Finished with a dropdown showing if the horse came 1. 2. etc

I have a Won Lost Field where I would like to do an If function depending on the Finished Field if it came in 1st show the Win amounnt

But it returns the Name of the Field not the contents. same for if the horse came 2nd

any help would be much appreciated i have spent hours trying to work it out.

Thanks

davelee

• 1. Re: Please Help with a logic field result thanks
          philmodjunk

With questions like these it helps us to help you if you post the actual calculation that isn't working for you.

If ( Finished = 1 ; Possible Win ; Possible Loss )

Would appear to be what you want if I've correctly identified your field names and also understand the results you want.

• 2. Re: Please Help with a logic field result thanks
            davelee

Hi Phil

Thanks for the reply

Its the contents of either field I want to see not the name of the fields

My calculation was as you describe

If ( Finished = 1 ; Possible Win ; Possible Loss )

but I was expecting If Finished =1 ; to see the contents of the Field Possible Win;  which has already been calculate but instead it shows the name of the Field Possible Win and not its contents

So I’m thinking you cant see the contents of either field with an If function is there another way?

Thanks 

davelee

• 3. Re: Please Help with a logic field result thanks
              philmodjunk

You should be seeing the contents of the fields--not their names. Since you don't something isn't set up correctly.

If you were to copy and paste the expression directly from your file to this forum would it look exactly like what I've posted?

I suspect you may have some quotation marks where they shouldn't be or this is not a calculation field like I've assumed.

• 4. Re: Please Help with a logic field result thanks
                davelee

Hi Phil

Thank you very much I’ve been mucking around with this for ages I removed the quotation marks and bang its working

What a wonderful forum

Thanks again 

davelee