3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2012 11:49 AM by philmodjunk

Please Help... Summarized Count of Specific Values

thomasstricklen

Title

Please Help... Summarized Count of Specific Values

I have a field (County) supported by a value list of  55 counties (Drop Down).  I want to have a "count" that shows the number of records for each county.  Thanks

• 1. Re: Please Help... Summarized Count of Specific Values
          philmodjunk

That's not much to go on, so my assumptions here may be incorrect.

I am assuming a single table with a field, County that stores a single name, the name of a county.

Define a field of type Summary and select "Count of" option to count your County field. (Any field that is never empty will give you the same count)

Create a new layout based on this same table.

In layout mode, double click the body layout part label to open part setup. Change the body into a sub summary part "when sorted by County".

Put the County field and the new summary field in this sub summary layout part.

Return to browse mode and sort your records by the County field. (Layout will be blank until you sort the records.)

• 2. Re: Please Help... Summarized Count of Specific Values
            thomasstricklen
                 Thank you... for such a rapid response and my apologises for the lack of infomration.

Will this give me the total of entries but not a breakdown on each county? Trying to establish the how many records for each individual county... thanks again

Really appreciate your time and efforts
            • 3. Re: Please Help... Summarized Count of Specific Values
              philmodjunk

If your layout has a sub summary layout part but not a body layout part, your report will look like this:

Sacramento County 234
                   San Joaquin County 23
                   Stanislaus County   200

If, on the other hand, you include both body and sub summary layout parts, you can provide a break down where you get one row for each record and the above rows become "sub headers" for each group of records.