2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2010 9:45 PM by xtremu

Please help: automatic time in and time out using ID with barcode

xtremu

Title

Please help: automatic time in and time out using ID with barcode

I am currently working on a database for the gate entry system of our school wherein this system will track the student and employee information/record in the database which will show if they are currently enrolled or not and if they are still an employee or not.  We are using ID barcode for the gate entry to monitor the status of an individual and to record it in our database for the time in and time out activity.  The TIME IN will be done through first ID barcode detection of our system and automatically record the time in of that individual into our database, the second ID detection of our system will be recorded in our TIME OUT field and so on…

Student Table

Fields:

1. Student info (such as First, Last name, address, contact #., etc)
      2. Student ID – number

History Table

Fields:

1. Student ID – number/ auto-serial number
      2. Check In Time – Time
      3. Check Out Time - Time

I want to display the check In and Checkout time fields in the portal under student table. Is this possible so that there is an automatic check in and checkout time using their ID with barcode in the scanner and save that time in the database?

I would appreciate any suggestions to make the functionality I described above to work properly.

Thanks and more power to the File Maker Pro 11 Advanced team.

• 1. Re: Please help: automatic time in and time out using ID with barcode
          ninja

Howdy xtremu,

Student Table

Fields:

1. Student info (such as First, Last name, address, contact #., etc)
          2. Student ID (Autoenter Serial#)
          3. Barcode– number (Barcode Tag)

History Table

Fields:

1. Student ID – number/ auto-serial number
          2. Check In Time – Time
          3. Check Out Time - Time
          4. Barcode (Barcode Tag)
          5. Transaction ID (autoenter Serial)

Make a relationship between these two tables  Student::Barcode = History::Barcode

Now on a layout based on the Student Table, add a portal based on the History table and put into the portal the fields CheckIn and CheckOut.

Your scan IN should create a new record in the History table and set the CheckIn.

Your scan OUT should append the last record for that student in the History table and set the CheckOut.

The portal through to the student table will show all of the related records...not by Student, but by Barcode (assuming a barcode is per student here).

It's a good idea to have the autoenter Serial as StudentID, but for this function I think you actually want the relationship by Barcode.

While you're at this, consider how you'll handle lost cards...can you replace a card and give it the same Barcode?

And also consider folks signing each other in and out...c'mon, you did it in the student dorms too, right?

Food for thought...

• 2. Re: Please help: automatic time in and time out using ID with barcode
            xtremu

Hi Ninja,

Thanks for the quick and detailed response. We will try that procedure as soon as we get a hold of the scanner. We will keep in touch with you to extend our gratitude once that technique works out for us.

Thanks in advance and more power.

xtremu