AnsweredAssumed Answered

Plotting both sub-summary and grand total summary data in one or more charts

Question asked by wdockery on Jan 6, 2011
Latest reply on Jan 6, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Plotting both sub-summary and grand total summary data in one or more charts

Hello, I am building a type of "audience response" Filemaker chart that collects individuals' answers to multiple choice questions (a, b, c, d, e) during a question/answer lecture (maximum number of participants <50) and then displays the choices anonymously in a Filemaker bar chart.  By using the individual multiple choice answers as a sub-summary, I can count the number of specific responses and display that in the chart:  five columns (for answers "a" through "e"), height of column is the count for a particular answer; height of all columns taken together would be 50.  The crowd likes this; it shows them how they answered compared to their peers; keeps them interested in my lecture. That works fine.

But before showing the sub-summary, I would like to show a single vertical bar of the number of responses that I have collected (maximum is usually 50, depends on the attendance at the lecture).  I can't figure out how to use my raw data to create a single bar that is the grand total count of responses.  I keep getting five bars, each one registering 50 counts.  I want one bar registering 50 counts.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Outcomes