2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 1:13 PM by aammondd

Pop up data values dependant on previous data entry (in Layout)

GHamilton

Title

Pop up data values dependant on previous data entry (in Layout)

I am creating a database that will be used for data entry. I would like to create a nice user interface for inputting the data. My issue is as follows:

I would like to have a series of questions that are dependant on each other. For example, say the variable was car owner (y/n). If I enter "n", nothing should happen, and I move on to the next series of entries. Whereas, if I enter "y", I would like follow up questions to come up (ie., vehicle type, colour etc) in front of the next series of questions.

Is this possible in File Maker Pro 11?

Cheers

• 1. Re: Pop up data values dependant on previous data entry (in Layout)
          philmodjunk

Quite a few different ways to go are possible here.

It's possible by using a script trigger on your field. The script trigger can perform a script that checks to see whether yes or no was selected and takes appropriate action. This action could be to switch to a different layout with the follow up questions, or it could pop up a small window with these questions. It could also perform a find that updates the list of questions currently visible by finding a different set of question records depending on the answer entered by the user...

• 2. Re: Pop up data values dependant on previous data entry (in Layout)
            aammondd

Though a farily ambitious project I would think that the windowing idea may be the easiest to implement and provide the best flexibility

With a survey table, a questions table, a branching table, a responses table , a display table(mostly global fields) and a results table you would be able to create a system where

A script loops through a survey of  baseline questions where a branching table controls the flow of the next question based on the responses (the display table is used to display the question and the answer choices [controlled by the responses table and some conditional formatting]) the answers along with the question ids are stored in a results table so that the question path and answers are captured and can be reviewed.  When a branch of questions reaches the end the survey moves on  to  the next baseline question.

At least thats how I would construct it