1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2010 11:02 AM by k1ngf1sher

Pop-up menu selection returns blank value

k1ngf1sher

Title

Pop-up menu selection returns blank value

Hi all, I'm stumped right now.  I have a pop-up menu that draws from a value list (Storage_type) that shows the contents from the table and field Operation::Storage_type based on a related table (Site:: ).  The pop-up menu contains the correct values when I click on the field, but the field returns to blank after I tab or click into another field.  The field with the pop-up menu is not covered over by another field and is arranged to be on top of any other layout objects.  I have two other similar pop-up menus on the same layout, and both have the same underlying structure (i.e., shows values from a field from a related table) as this field, but they do not have the same problem.  Any ideas on what could be happening?

Thanks for your attention to my message.

K

• 1. Re: Pop-up menu selection returns blank value
          philmodjunk
             Does your value list specify one or two columns of values?
          • 2. Re: Pop-up menu selection returns blank value
            k1ngf1sher

Only one column.  Why do you ask?

I deleted and created a new, differently named value list (the same as previously, but which works for two other value lists that currently work on this layout) and associated it with this field, but making a selection continues to result in a 'blank' selection when I tab/click on another field.

K

• 3. Re: Pop-up menu selection returns blank value
              philmodjunk

Curious to see if a blank second column value was the cause of the problem, but on further thought, that shouldn't be a factor...

Do you have any auto-enter settings that may replace the value you selected from the value list?

Any script triggers?

• 4. Re: Pop-up menu selection returns blank value
                ninja

Howdy,

Check through the various options for script triggers.  Are you certain you aren't launching a script somewhere?

Make a new layout with only that field.  Set it as a dropdown using your value list.  Try it there...does it blank?

If so, look into your field definition and verify there isn't anything hokey going on in your field def.

If it is still a problem...make a new field on that new layout (new test field) and link THIS to your value list and see what happens.

Isolate the problem.  FMP10 has a whole lot of problem sources (otherwise known as tools or options ;) )

• 5. Re: Pop-up menu selection returns blank value
                  k1ngf1sher
                     No auto-enter settings, no script triggers.  I just cannot find the root of this issue.
                  • 6. Re: Pop-up menu selection returns blank value
                    k1ngf1sher

Ninja, I've checked every angle I can think of, including all the right-click options that I could test for this field.

Question: the field upon which the the value list was created is itself a value list, but the list is one that has data that I specified.  The point of the value list that I need is that I do not want the entire list to be shown in the pop-up menu; I only want to see the Operation::Storage_types for the current record's Site::.

Does that make sense?  If you can find your way out of this issue, please let me know.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Pop-up menu selection returns blank value
                      ninja

We'll keep guessing at answers for you to investigate.

The fact that the fields forming the value list came from a value list themselves shouldn't be an issue.  The data is the data, regardless of source.  It's still stored in the field.

Have you made the new layout and a test field attached to this value list?  I didn't see that you specifically tried that.

Additionally, has this behavior continued after a Close and Reopen of the file?

• 8. Re: Pop-up menu selection returns blank value
                        philmodjunk

It's hard to tell without having a copy of your file to examine. You can upload your file to a fileshare site and post the link here if you want. What you are describing is a conditional value list and the details for one of those have to be set just right.

Compare what you've done against this example and see if you spot any key differences:

Here's a thread on setting up conditional value lists:

Custom Value List?

• 9. Re: Pop-up menu selection returns blank value
                          k1ngf1sher

Ninja, Sorry, I had tried putting the same field and value list on a new layout (based on the same Table as the other layout) and it did the same thing.  However, using the same table, I created a new layout, grabbed a random variable, assigned the problematic value list to it, then went into browse mode.  In this instance, the value remained in the field after I made a selection from the pop-up menu.

What do you think is happening?

• 10. Re: Pop-up menu selection returns blank value
                            k1ngf1sher

Thanks for the advice, Phil.  I already have two working instances of conditional value lists on this layout, so I'm not clear why this one is acting so strangely.  Could you review what Ninja and I have last exchanged and contribute a possible interpretation?

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Pop-up menu selection returns blank value
                              ninja

Well, that's a clue...lets dig further...

k1ngf1sher wrote:

However, using the same table, I created a new layout, grabbed a random variable, assigned the problematic value list to it, then went into browse mode. 

What do you think is happening?

What exactly does that statement mean?  A random field?  A new field?  Of what type?  What is the type of your original, problematic field?  What are all the differences between the field that works and the field that doesn't?

I'm heading home...Phil's out west so he's still got a couple of hours yet today.  Have a great weekend!

• 12. Re: Pop-up menu selection returns blank value
                                k1ngf1sher
                                   I selected a 'text' field (since my 'problem' field is a text field) from the Site:: table, put it on the new layout that is based on the Site::, but then specified that the field should use values from my troubled value list (Storage_types).  The problem field (Storage1) is from a related table (MMP_Records) and uses a value list that originates in the Sites table.  Does that help?
                                • 13. Re: Pop-up menu selection returns blank value
                                  philmodjunk

k1ngf1sher,

I've been following along and interjecting when I thought of something to try. At this point, I'd like to look at your file and see if I can spot anything. Can you upload a copy to a file share site?

If this isn't a file you want public like that, send me a private message and I'll send you an email address you can send it to.

• 14. Re: Pop-up menu selection returns blank value
                                    ninja

I'd have to agree with Phil, but I'm running FMP8 on this computer.

If this is something you're comfortable with (and your company allows), let Phil have a crack at a copy of the dbase itself (even with records stripped).

If not, we'll keep guessing...

1 2 Previous Next