5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2009 4:09 PM by mrvodka

pop-up question

jonnyboy

Title

pop-up question

I have a layout called "buildings."  Each building has 7-10 doors.  Our company keeps track of all the locations and details about each door.  I've created a form that looks like this

Location Door Type Door Color I want to put fields under those labels and pull up the information through pop-up windows.  The problem I am having is that when I pick a 

1. location for the second door, the first door will change to what the second door says. Or when I choose a color for the first door the rest of the  

2. doors fill up with that same color.  I want each door entry to be specific and different.  Is there any way to do this?

• 1. Re: pop-up question
          philmodjunk

"Is there any way to do this?"

Well yes, but it's impossible to tell you how without knowing more about how you created the layout in question. Your description suggests that it, or its table has not been correctly set up.

• 2. Re: pop-up question
            jonnyboy

My question got all messed up when I sent it.  This is what it should look like:

I have a layout called "buildings."  Each building has 7-10 doors.  Our company keeps track of all the locations and details about each door.  I've created a form that looks like

Door Location       Door Type        Door Color

For each location, type, and color there are going to be several different options.  I have put those into my Door Information Table and related that to the buildings table.  I want to have pop-up menu fields for the location, type, and color so I can just choose what it is instead of typing it in every time.T he problem I am having is that when I pick a location for the second door, the first door will change to what the second door says. Or when I choose a color for the first door the rest of the doors fill up with that same color.  I want each door entry to be specific and different.  Is there any way to do this?

• 3. Re: pop-up question
              mrvodka

So you have a Buildings table and a door info table.

The 7-10 doors you are talking about are 7-10 records in the door into table? 

Are you using a portal?

I dont think I understand what the door info table does....

• 4. Re: pop-up question
                jonnyboy

Here are the fields in my door info table: Location, type, color, width, height.  There are 3 different locations, 3 types, 3 colors, and the widths and heights will vary.  I'm not worried about the widths and heights.  So I'm trying to make it look like this:

Location        Type Color Width Height 

1. Gym        A55 White - -

2. Kitchen        A255 Black -

3. Library        B55 Red - -

When my pop up window comes up for location it has Gym, Kitchen, and Library.  I choose Gym for the first door.  But when I choose Kitchen for the second door, the first door will change to Kitchen.  Does this help out  

• 5. Re: pop-up question
                  mrvodka

Not really. You still have described the purpose of the table. I am not sure if it is a reference table or if its the table of items for that building.

Here is what you should have.

Table: Building

Fields: pkBuildingID, BuildingLocation, etc etc.

Table: BuildingDoors

Fields: pkBuildingDoorID, fkBuildingID,  (Location, Type, Color, Width, Height)???

You can use a portal to display the buildingdoor items.

If you turn allow creation of records on the BuildingDoors side of the relationship, you can create records in the portal.