7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2013 1:03 PM by philmodjunk

Pop-up value list

tays01s

Title

Pop-up value list

I have a pop-up triggering the attached script. However, I would also like to be able to use this as a dynamic value list where the 'patient' list depends on whether a user selects 'Filed/ In-use'. I assume in addition to the 'filed/in-use' radio button field, I'd also need another such field 'File/Use' to change the status of the 'filed/in-use' field?

Patient_select_script_copy.jpg

• 1. Re: Pop-up value list
          philmodjunk

If you want the find to limite the results to a specified Filed/In-Use status, then you'll need another global field with the radio button format for specifying that option and another set field step that uses that field to specify your find criteria.

But if you just want  to limit the values in the pop-up menu to values with the specified status, you can do that with a conditional value list if you set up the appropriate relationship to support such an option.

• 2. Re: Pop-up value list
            tays01s

I've tried the global field method with a radio button text field. However, (being rather ignorant of global fields) I'm not sure how to display in the pop-up field values from my original gSelectPatientID and the new gPatientStatusList. See script attached. Currently I get a warning that my 'find criteria' aren't valid.

A linked point. Once the above works I may select 'patient A' listed as 'In-use'. I presume I need a second radio button field 'PatientStatus' = File/Use so that I may then click 'File' if I want to change 'Patient A's' status. Should I then calculate PatientStatusList = PatientStatus?

• 3. Re: Pop-up value list
              philmodjunk

The script looks correct. If you are getting invalid find criteria, I would guess that you don't have these two global fields located on a layout where the user selects/enters a value in one or both of these fields, then clicks a button to perform the above script.

• 4. Re: Pop-up value list
                tays01s

The pop-up is set to display from: Global::gSelectPatientID. This works fine. How do I simultaneously have the pop-up selecting from Global::gSelectPatientStatusList?

• 5. Re: Pop-up value list
                  philmodjunk

"simultaneously"?

You just need both fields on the layout, each with the correct formatting for selecting/entering data so I don't understand your question.

• 6. Re: Pop-up value list
                    tays01s

OK, both global fields are on the layout. No problem with the script working, but how do I get 'gSelectPatientStatusList' to, in effect, filter the names listed in the pop-up for 'gSelectPatient', ie. when I select the PatientStatusList field = Filed, only patients who have been filed get listed in the 'gSelectPatientStatusList' pop-up?

• 7. Re: Pop-up value list
                      philmodjunk

Ok, you need a conditional value list. That typically requires a relationship where the field with the first value list is used as the match field.

Here are some links on the subject of conditional value lists.

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in FileMaker 12.

The last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.