1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 10, 2014 3:07 PM by philmodjunk

populate fields in an existing record with look up data

ThomasJ.Selva

Title

populate fields in an existing record with look up data

I have a nifty database for my faculty that I use to build clinic schedules, track vacation time, and set up the call schedule.  However, I populate all the fields using scripts for each day of the week and AM versus PM sessions.  I have set up a table with days of the week and the fields all populated with the plan to simply link the day of week table to the main table and look up each field value.  However, I already have the calendar populated through 2020 and simply want to be able to update the fields with new lookup data as I move from one day to the next.

Example:  We are losing a partner and I have to adjust the schedule.  Rather than rewrite or edit 10 scripts I want to be able to simply update the main week day schedule table then advance forward in the main table and have the fields update. 

How do I do that.  A bit of a newbie here and quite the tinkerer so all help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: populate fields in an existing record with look up data
          philmodjunk

We are losing a partner and I have to adjust the schedule.  Rather than rewrite or edit 10 scripts I want to be able to simply update the main week day schedule table then advance forward in the main table and have the fields update. 

Sounds like you are specifying literal data in the script that should be stored in a record of a table. If that data were in a table, you would find and edit the table and your script then runs as needed without having to modify the actual script.

"Look up" means different things in different contexts. You might be performing a find for data or copying data from the filed of a related record into the corresponding record of another. And in other contexts, that might just be a dynamic link to the related data so that updates happen automatically.

So please clarify exaclty what you mean by "look up".