2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2011 3:29 AM by raybaudi

Populate new Record entry with results from unsuccessful Find

KennethCarl

Title

Populate new Record entry with results from unsuccessful Find

Just as the default behavior for FileMaker Pro when a Find is successful is to show the first record in the Found set, I would like to have the behavior on unsuccessful Finds be to start making a new Record in Browse mode with the Find criteria pre-entered into the respective fields; I have tried to find solutions already but seem stuck on how to programmatically access the text entered into a field in Find mode (there is a function called Get(QuickFindText) but this is not associated with any field, and at any rate my users won't commonly be using Quick Find).

• 1. Re: Populate new Record entry with results from unsuccessful Find
          philmodjunk

Try using global fields for your find criteria. Then when the find comes up empty, create a new record and move the data from the global fields to fields in the new record.

#using one global field just for example purposes
          Enter Find Mode []
          Set Field [YourTable::Name ; YourTable::GlobalNameField ]
          Set Error Capture [on] // suppresses "no records found" dialog so it doesn't interrupt the script.
          Perform Find[]
          If [ Get ( FoundCount ) = 0 ]
             New Record/Request
             Set field [Yourtable::Name ; YourTable::GlobalNameField]
          End IF

Your user can enter a name into YourTable::GlobalNameField and then perform the above script. It will either find the record with this name or create a new one with that name.

• 2. Re: Populate new Record entry with results from unsuccessful Find
            raybaudi

"...but seem stuck on how to programmatically access the text entered into a field in Find mode"

I think that a script like this could work:

Set Error Capture [ On ]
            Enter Find Mode [ Pause ]
            Set Variable [ $values ; Value: YourTable::FirstField & ¶ & YourTable::SecondField ]
            Perform Find [ ]
            If [ Get ( LastError ) ]
            New Record/Request
            Set Field [ YourTable::FirstField ; GetValue ( $values ; 1 ) ]
            Set Field [ YourTable::SecondField ; GetValue ( $values ; 2 ) ]
            End If