5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 1:47 PM by philmodjunk

Populate separate forms from a list of values in a field

MattHarris

Title

Populate separate forms from a list of values in a field

I am new to Filemaker and my graduate advisor wants me to make a database with no previous knowledge of Filemaker. What I would like to do is populate a form with like fields from another form that contains a list of items from 4 different fields that are associated with one another. There needs to be a separate form created for each item in the list from the first form. 

• 1. Re: Populate separate forms from a list of values in a field
          philmodjunk

Can't picture that. Can you provide an example?

• 2. Re: Populate separate forms from a list of values in a field
            MattHarris

Sorry I could have worded that a little better. We are using Filemaker to make digital versions of forms that we would use to collect data in the field. One form is what we call the 'Operation' form which will contain a list of Sub-Operations. There is then a separate form for each Sub-Operation. I would like to be able to have a form that will be automaticallly populated with the info for each Sub-Operation listed on the Operation form. I hope that helps a little more. Thanks!

• 3. Re: Populate separate forms from a list of values in a field
              philmodjunk

It's a start. In FileMaker, if you define a relationship between two tables, you can add fields from the one table to a layout based on the related table and the information from the first table will appear on this layout based on the second table.

Example:

If you have a Customer Info form based on a table named Customer Info, you can fill in information such as a name and address. If there is an auto-entered serial number called Customer ID to identify each new record in this table, you can link it to an "invoice" form(layout) using this relationship:

Customer Info::Customer ID = Invoice::Csutomer ID

Then you can add the name and address fields from Customer Info to a form (called a layout) for Invoice. If you have a customer record with 4 as the customer ID, putting 4 in the Invoice::Customer ID field will result in that customer's name and address appearing in those fields on the Invoices layout.

• 4. Re: Populate separate forms from a list of values in a field
                MattHarris

Thanks Phil, but I'm still having trouble.

I would like to type values into a main form and have that update other forms. For instance, The first form is going to have a list of what we call sub-operations. From this each sub-operation and its size, orientation, etc. will be auto-populated into it's own sub-operation form. As of now it is allowing me to only enter 1 value per field. I can get it to auto populate with a relationship, but it is limiting me to only 1 value per field per layout. I would like multiple values for a field on one layout. I am not very familiar with filemaker so I may not be explaining myself well.

I guess it would be easier to say that I want a layout with a list of customers and their info. Then I would want a separate layout for each customer to be auto populated.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Populate separate forms from a list of values in a field
                  philmodjunk

As of now it is allowing me to only enter 1 value per field.

In almost all cases, this is what should happen. Except for certain specialized applications, one value per field is usually best.

The lack of details here hampers my ability to make a specific suggestion. How you set up different tables of data and link them in relationships is critical to the correct function of your database. I really have no idea what data you have, in what tables, with what relationships nor how this data needs to be presented on your forms.

Going with your customers idea. If you define a table of customers, you add at a minimum some name fields for first, last name and possibly a calculation field that combines them into a full name. Then you also add a serial number field to serve as the table's primary key. This number uniquely identifies each customer record. You cannot rely on a customer's name for this as names are not unique and people also change their names.

To see those names on a second layout depends on details you have not described.

If you base your layout on the same customers table by selecting that same table in Layout Setup | Show Records from, every customer record entered on the first table will automatically be available on the second layout.

That does not mean this is what you want to do. Maybe each record on the second layout is a sales invoice and you need to select a customer from the table in the first layout for each invoice you create. In which case, the same customer could appear on multiple invoices and you would use a value list or other tool to select a customer for each new invoice you create. This situation requires that you define a relationship between the customer and invoices table:

Customers::__pk_CustomerID = Invoices::_fk_CustomerID

So that any data entered for a given customer in the customers table can be displayed on an invoice form once you have selected a customer for it.