3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2009 7:21 AM by TSGal

Populating a field with a drop down menu

fieldsr

Title

Populating a field with a drop down menu

I am a novice Filemaker Pro 8.5 user and I am trying to do the following:

In one field, I have a drop down menu of instructional Strands for my Latin class (Grammar, Vocabulary, Culture).

When I select one of the Instructional Strands (let's say Grammar) in Browse or Find, I would like to go to the next field and have a drop down menu appear that lists Standards (like Verbs, Nouns, Adjectives, Adverbs, etc.) that are based on the previously-selected Strand. 

Could someone point me in the right direction please?  Thanks in advance! 

• 1. Re: Populating a field with a drop down menu
          TSGal

fieldsr:

Thank you for your post.

Create a new table, SOURCE, with two fields:

Instructional Strands (Text)

Standards (Text)

Enter every combination of "Instructional Strands" and "Standards"

For example,

Vocabulary - Verbs

Vocabulary - Nouns

Vocabulary - Adjectives

Vocabulary - Adverbs

Culture - Wine

Culture - Robes

Culture - Song

etc.

Pull down the File menu and select "Define -> Database".  Click on the Relationships tab and you will see a graphical representation of your database.  Select the "Instructional Strands" field from your working table and link it to the "Instructional Strands" field of SOURCE.

Go to your working table, enter Layout Mode, and double-click the "Instructional Strands" field.  Set this field to be a drop-down menu and have it display values from SOURCE.  Since this hasn't been set up yet, click on Define Value Lists..., click "New", give it a name "Instructional Strands" and select the option to "Use values from field...", select SOURCE and the "Instructional Strands" field and select "Include all values".  This will show you the "Instructional Strands" values from SOURCE.

Next on your layout, double-click the Standards field.  Set this field to also be a drop-down menu and display values from SOURCE.  Again, select Define Value Lists..., click "New", and give it the name "Standards".  Select the option to "Use values from field...", select SOURCE and the Standards field.  However, this time select the option "Include only related values starting from SOURCE".

Now, when you select a particular Instructional Strand, only those related values will appear in Standards.

If you need clarification, or are still having difficulty, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Populating a field with a drop down menu
            fieldsr

Thank you for your reply.  I am still having an issue, however:

You gave these instructions:

Next on your layout, double-click the Standards field.  Set this field to also be a drop-down menu and display values from SOURCE.  Again, select Define Value Lists..., click "New", and give it the name "Standards".  Select the option to "Use values from field...", select SOURCE and the Standards field.  However, this time select the option "Include only related values starting from SOURCE".

When I try to execute the last step "Include only related values starting from . . .", the table SOURCE is not an option.  The only table available is the working table.  Any suggestions why the SOURCE fails to appear?

Thanks.  

• 3. Re: Populating a field with a drop down menu
              TSGal

fieldsr:

It appears you were able to do the first field without a problem.  When you double-click the Standards field, the right side of the dialog box should show the Standards field from the current table.  I'm assuming you have the SOURCE table selected.  That would cause the problem you are having.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.