9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2009 5:45 AM by stellagirl12

Populating drop down menu from database

stellagirl12

Title

Populating drop down menu from database

Hello.  I would like to be able to populate a drop down menu with information from my filemaker database.  I published my database on the web but would like the drop down menu options to pull the information from a field in my filemaker database.  I need to know the correct html in order to do this.  Furthermore, is it possible to have a radio button selected "Yes" or "No" in the same manner (i.e. from a field in my filemaker database containing the words "Yes" or "No")?

Thanks for your help. 

• 1. Re: Populating drop down menu from database
          ninja

howdy stellagirl12,

I don't work much in the web side of things, but I'm guessing the features you're after are the same whether or not you're published to the world.

For your dropdowns, you want a Value List (under File>Define>Value Lists) and have it include values from the field in question.  Then, in layout mode, format the field as a dropdown menu using values from that Value List.

For the radio Buttons...I've only ever played with them a little...they seem to work the same way.  In layout mode, format the field as a radio button set using values from the value list "YesOrNo" that you've created to hold the custom values "Yes" and "No" (make sure there's a 'return' between them when filling in the custom values).

I this what you're after?  Please click the radio buttons..."Yes" or "No" ;)

• 2. Re: Populating drop down menu from database
            stellagirl12
               Thanks for your response.  If I create a drop down menu or radio button in filemaker as you said, will that carry over to my web version?
            • 3. Re: Populating drop down menu from database
              TSGal

stellagirl12:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, you can populate a drop down menu with information from a field.  First, you have to set up the Value List, so pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Value Lists..."  Click on New, and give it a name that is meaningful to you.  Below that, select the option "Use values from field:" and then specify the field you want to obtain the information.  Click OK a couple of times until you are back in the database.

Now, pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".  Select the field you want to display the drop down, pull down the Format menu and select "Field/Control -> Setup..."

Under "Control Style", change the pop-up next to "Display as:" to "Drop-down List".  New options will appear directly below and next to "Display values from:", select the Value List you just created.  Click OK and go to Browse.  Now, whenever you select that field, you will see a list of values from the other field.

I'm a little unsure what you want accomplished with the Yes/No button.  If these are the only two values, and you already have this in a Value List, then just format the field to be a Checkbox and use the same value list.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

UPDATE:  Sorry, as I was writing my post, the previous two posts were posted.  Yes, this will also appear on the web.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Populating drop down menu from database
                Nadula

I use this in my systems, drop down lists and drop down menus should work fine.

Whilst they function fine, radio buttons and check boxes don't quite display in the way I'd like or as they do in Filemaker. Not a major problem but if you put effort into asthetics (like me) it's a bit annoying :/

• 5. Re: Populating drop down menu from database
                  ninja

Stellagirl12,

I'm sorry, I simply haven't used FMP on web based functions...I don't know.  Perhaps the next to reply on this chain can teach us both.

Or if you're in a position to try it without risking damage to anything...you could try it out and let us all know!

• 6. Re: Populating drop down menu from database
                    stellagirl12
                       Thanks so much for all of your replies.  I went into filemaker and set it up so that now in the particular field I want it in, there is a drop down menu with all of the different choices from that field.  So that's great!  However, I am not seeing it on my web version.  Is there a certain html code that I will need to input in order for the choices to populate my web database?
                    • 7. Re: Populating drop down menu from database
                      TSGal

stellagirl12:

Thank you for your post.

Are you using Instant Web Publishing?  The drop-down menu should appear on the layout, and the values from the value list should appear once you click on the field.

This is what I have done.....

I created TABLE A with two fields (ID and Name).  I created TABLE B with two fields (ID and Product).  I entered five records into TABLE B.  I created a Value List "PRODUCTS" that uses all the values of Product in TABLE B.  In the layout for TABLE A, I set the Name field to be a drop-down using the Value List "PRODUCTS".  When i add a record in TABLE A and click on Name, a listing of products (five records) displays.

I turned on Instant Web Publishing, went to another machine, typed in the URL and opened the database.  In the layout for TABLE A, I can click on the Name field, and the listing also appears.

If you could let me know what I have done differently than you, I will try and duplicate it here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: Populating drop down menu from database
                        stellagirl12
                           thanks again for the posts.  i have not yet been able to figure out the piece of html code i am missing so that what i have done in filemaker will carry over to my web version.  i am currently trying to figure that out now and will let you know when i do.
                        • 9. Re: Populating drop down menu from database
                          stellagirl12

To populate a drop down menu from a Filemaker database I used the following html code:

<select name="Nature_of_Lead" Value="">

<Option value="">[FMP-Field:Nature_of_Lead]

[FMP-valuelist:Nature_of_Lead,list=Nature_of_Lead_Options]

<option value="[FMP-valuelistitem]">[FMP-valuelistitem]

[/FMP-valuelist]

</select>

and I also defined the value list in Filemaker.  By doing both of these things, I was able to get my drop down menu to not only pull from my database, but to pull the correct corresponding option from a field in my database and display it in my drop down menu while also displaying the other various options I wanted people to be able to choose from as well.  I am very excited!  Thanks to all who replied!