3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2014 9:30 PM by philmodjunk

Populating field information from another field

KevinIson

Title

Populating field information from another field

How do you populate a field if this field is "Empty" from data in another field. The info I need is on a separate layout but with-in the same database.

• 1. Re: Populating field information from another field
          philmodjunk

But is that data from another record? Is that record in a different table? Is there a relationship linking that table to the table where you want to populate this field?

And Should you actually copy data from one field to another? (there are good reasons and "bad" reasons for trying to set that up.)

Data in another record can be accessed for display or to auto-enter a copy of it into another field, but this requires a relationship 99% of the time. You'll need to explain in more detail what you are trying to do and how your data is set up in tables and relationships.

• 2. Re: Populating field information from another field
            KevinIson

The data is from the same record, all the fields are in the same table, but I need to bring in the data from one layout to another. They are actually name and address fields, with and extra field called "Care Of" that shows the person that the mail-out needs to be sent in care of, and this can be a different address as well. The layout that I need the fields updated needs to bring in these extra fields, or if the field is empty then the normal address fields need to be brought in to this layout.

I have uploaded one PNG file. The Prisoners page fields in a box called "More Mandala Info" these are the fields that need to be brought into the layout called "Mandala subs Addresses". and as I mentioned above if there are any empty fields then the info in the address fields on the left of the Prisoners Page need to be brought into the "Mandala subs Addresses" layout.

Is this possible? 

• 3. Re: Populating field information from another field
              philmodjunk

If this is all from the same record of the same table, there is nothing to "bring over from the other layout". Since both layouts are based on the same table, all the data in fields from one layout are directly accessible on the other.