1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 8, 2013 8:04 AM by philmodjunk

Populating one data base with a selected record from another (seperate) data base

StevenBoker_1

Title

Populating one data base with a selected record from another (seperate) data base

Hello: 

I am developing an Inventory Data Base. 

My plan is to have a “Master List” of all possible inventory items set up in one Data Base. 

I then want to populate my “Inventory List” (IMPORTANT to note, the “Inventory List” is a separate Data Base), with line items using an alphabetic search parameters in the “Master List”. It has many area and location, a portal is not an option for reporting puroses. 

The two Data Bases (Inventory & Master List), alphabetic search parameters are in place.  Also, I have in place and External Data Source relationship connecting the two data bases.

Problem: 

How do I populate my “Inventory List” with field data from my “Master List”? 

I do not want to simply write a script which will cut, copy and paste.  I understand there are issues doing that, I want to perform this action (populating my “Inventory List” from the “Master List” with a button and set field script, or by other means… I am at an impasse. 

What say you?

• 1. Re: Populating one data base with a selected record from another (seperate) data base
          philmodjunk

Don't see why you are using two separate files, one for the Master List and one for the Inventory List when you can put both tables in the same file and then simplify your design.

A description of the relationships that you have set up will be helpful, but there are two basic approaches you can consider. Each method is the 'best' choice in different circumstances.

Data from the related Master LIst table can simply be displayed on the Inventory LIst table by placing fields from the Master LIst table on your Inventory LIst table.

Or datat can be copied from the Master LIst into fields in the Inventory List via auto-enter field options.

Both require the same basic relationship between the two tables and this will work regardless of whether the tables are in the same file or separate files so long as you set up an external data source reference and relationship.

Here's a link to a thread that discusses the two basic options I have briefly described in greater detail: Auto Fill