3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2014 6:19 AM by philmodjunk

popup does not show values until commit

bosty

Title

popup does not show values until commit

i have a problem where a popup menu does not display a conditional valuelist until commit or i click outside the field, but this does not happen when i use dropdown menu. the problem is i have validation rules that validates other fields and display warning messages. is there a workaround for this issue.

• 1. Re: popup does not show values until commit
          philmodjunk

Is this the scenario?

You select a "category" type value in field 1, but when you open the popup menu in field 2, the conditional value list doesn't work unless you commit records before popping up the menu?

If so, set a script trigger on the first field to commit records automatically. Depending on the field format of the preceding field, that might be either OnObjectModify or OnObjectSave.

• 2. Re: popup does not show values until commit
            bosty

Thank you Phil,

but i can not commit the record as it will trigger other fields "not empty" validation rules.

i noticed that this does not happen using Filemaker Go, only using Filemaker Pro on my MAC.

i can use commit record script and check skip validation, but that will make it a modified record, or am i wrong?

• 3. Re: popup does not show values until commit
              philmodjunk

That will leave the record as "modified", but validation field options--which can be a bit "clumsy", are not your only options for making sure that required fields receive data.

And what you describe is not typical of a conditional value list. So there is some factor to your design, and I don't think that it's the validation rules, that is needing that commit before the conditional value list from working.