6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2013 9:10 PM by philmodjunk

Popup sizing

EP

Title

Popup sizing

Can't seem to size my popups correctly.  I tried taking the layout hight and width (in pixels) and I get scroll bars.  I then oplay the guessing game (waste of time) and if I make the popup too big, you can see where my layout backgorund ends (looks awful).  I tried pressing Command+A and taking the RIGHT position value from Insepector, but I still get scrollbars because my layout background is wider than where the last object is placed.  What's the trick to this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Popup sizing
          raybaudi

What about an Adjust Window [ Resize to Fit ] after the New Window step ?

• 2. Re: Popup sizing
            EP

Tried that earlier and it didn't work.  I had placed it too early in my script I guess.   Moved it down the line and Works great now. Thanks

• 3. Re: Popup sizing
              EP

Actually, not sure if this is the best way to go.  I'm trying to "polish" the user interface and I think this adds some "flashing."  Is there a method to measure the layout size correctly to create smoother popups?

• 4. Re: Popup sizing
                philmodjunk

With my dialog type pop up windows, I remove all layout parts but the body, then click the body layout part and specify the desired background color. I then make the layout height just large enough to contain the fields and other layout objects. As long as my right hand layout border is much wider than my window, small sizing discrepancies do not reveal any gaps in the layout background.

I've also popped up a window, use my mouse to drag the window to the size I wanted and then used a script with Show Custom dialog with Get (WindowHeight ) and Get ( WIndowWIdth ) to report the actual dimensions of the window--which I can then use to update my script to specify the desired window size. (I set variables for Height and Width at the start of my script--which I then use in my New Window script step to specify the window size. It make for easier size adjustments.)

It's also often helpful to use paired auto-size anchors (both left and right, both top and bottom or all 4) for some or all items on your pop up so that they autosize to more smoothly fit your window size.

• 5. Re: Popup sizing
                  EP

With my dialog type pop up windows, I remove all layout parts but the body, then click the body layout part and specify the desired background color. I then make the layout height just large enough to contain the fields and other layout objects. As long as my right hand layout border is much wider than my window, small sizing discrepancies do not reveal any gaps in the layout background.

Phil in doing this, I end up with either:

a) All fields showing with scroll bars (because the layout heaight or width is larger than the window size I set).

or

b) No scroll bars (because I set the window larger than the layout height/width) but you can see the gray color of where my layout width/height ended.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I also tried throwing in an Adjust Window [Resize to fit] in my script, and it achieves the perfect window size, but causes too much flashing, and the process looks ugly.

• 6. Re: Popup sizing
                    philmodjunk

Hmm, FileMaker 12 strikes again.

Try using the classic theme for the popup's layout. You are correct that if you size the window too small, you will still get scroll bars. This tip only helps you avoid seeing the limits of the background when you size the window a bit too large.