4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2008 9:00 AM by markt

port forwarding into host filemaker pro database

markt

Title

port forwarding into host filemaker pro database

I am using Filemaker Pro 9 on 5 computers one being the host. 

I am new to Filemaker Pro. I have 3 computers in same office, and 2 computers in satellite offices. I want to port forward using 5003 into host computer.

from what i understand, i need to setup my router where the host computer is and allow port forward with the 5003 port...I also allow database in filemaker pro to share. Do i also need to set a pinhole in the firewall to allow filemaker pro users through, or is that done by prior step?

also, is there any special settings for the routers of the remote computers, or settings for the computer itself?

I am understand to open filemaker pro and choose open remote...then type in the ip address where to find the host computer...do i use the internal IP of the host or the external IP? it has the default LDAP port of 389...should that stay as is? or is this where to put in 5003? in VNC, you put the :5003 port behind the IP address...

i have been unable to find the database remotely since I have set it up this past week...

• 1. Re: port forwarding into host filemaker pro database
          AndreasT

Depending on your router/firewall brand you may need to open port 5003 in more than one place, but very ofteh you just need to open this in the firewall.

Set your firewall to allow port 5003 traffic for any source and destination.

In the NAT traversion/port forwarding setup you set up forwarding of all traffic coming in on port 5003 to the local machine hosting your database. This machine needs to have a static IP address on the local subnet.

Also make sure that any local firewall on the host computer is set to allow port 5003 through. It can be helpful to turn this firewall off during testing and configure it later when you have everything else working.

Externally, you enter the hosts external IP address into the Open Remote dialog in the following manner:

Select the Open Remote menu item 

Set view to Favorite Hosts.

Press the Add button

Enter the hosts IP address and a description (No port numbers)

Press Save 

You should now see the host on the left side and when you click it, you should see the files on the right side. 

There is no settings needed on the remote computers (the client). 

• 2. Re: port forwarding into host filemaker pro database
            markt

great thanks...i was successful in setting up port forwarding from 3 remote computers into the host filemaker.

I do however am having trouble setting up one particular remote computer into a host...if i have done everything the same in both situations, what is keeping this one computer out of the loop? it would appear that settings on the remote are not correct possibly, or where do I start looking for the solution?

thanks for your input.

• 3. Re: port forwarding into host filemaker pro database
              davidanders

The troublesome remote computer may have a firewall that needs the port opened.

I have seen Windows machines with TWO firewalls and BOTH need to be set correctly.

It could also be a firewall in the local router that is blocking access.

• 4. Re: port forwarding into host filemaker pro database
                markt

thanks for the help so far...i have all my computers linked to host computer now. One of the problems that has come up is the sluggishness/speed at which the remote computers have working in the database...is their something i can do to sppeed that up? when port forwarding thru 5003, is that to be expected? the remote computers in the same office network do not seem as sluggish...but the remote computers do...

also one computer seems to give notice that maximum number of users tops out and it knocks that one off...isn't 5 remotes onto 1 host the limit? if so, we never have more than 3 at one time...so what might be causing this error?

thanks for your input...