3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2010 5:26 AM by ninja

Portal

hershy_s

Title

Portal

I'm using FM 8.0 pro. I encountered the weirdest thing. I set up a portal with three fields by eighteen  lines. When I go into Browse mode the portal is there as a table, which isn't what I want. I want lines to add as I enter data Any ideas.

• 1. Re: Portal
          ninja

Howdy Harold1,

Is it THERE as a table, or did you choose the default field size and settings and it LOOKS like a table?  You can change how it looks.

You chose 18 as the number of lines to display...it will be 18 in browse mode no matter how many related records you have.  "Adding a line" wont change this, it will just create another related record in your child table.

How many related records do you currently have in the child table for the parent record you are viewing?  none? 36?

And have you checked the box for "Allow creation of records via this relationship" on the child side of the relationship?

• 2. Re: Portal
            hershy_s

It just looks like a table.

When you create a portal doesn't it show only the lines you created plus a blank line.

I show three lines with data plus 15 blank line & I have 3 related records.

Yes I checked allow creation ...

The only solution I  can come up is maybe I'm not placing the fields in the right position in the portal

• 3. Re: Portal
              ninja

Howdy Harold,

Harold1 wrote:

It just looks like a table.

Oh, OK good.  You can change it's appearance using the design tools to make it look how you like.

When you create a portal doesn't it show only the lines you created plus a blank line.

No.  It shows the number of lines you told it to show in Portal Setup.  It only shows DATA in the lines you created, plus a blank line with fields showing, plus the rest just blank.

I show three lines with data plus 15 blank line & I have 3 related records.

This sounds like your portal is correct.  You should have three lines of data, a fourth with field 'blanks' showing, and the rest just totally blank.

Yes I checked allow creation ...

The only solution I  can come up is maybe I'm not placing the fields in the right position in the portal

Make sure your fields are entirely within the portal row and not overlapping outside of it vertically.  In Layout mode, the View>Object size tool can be handy for this.

If you like, you can shorten up your portal and put a scroll bar if this is more appealing to you.

For printing, select Sliding and printing and have the portal slide up (usually also selecting shrinking enclosing body part also) so you dont print the blank lines.

All in all, it sounds like it is working correctly...perhaps not what you holed for, but correctly.