5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2012 5:23 PM by disabled_JackRodgers

Portal - displaying multiple records/images horizontally and vertically

Title

Portal - displaying multiple records/images horizontally and vertically

I am fairly new to FM Pro, so apologies in advance if my query has been answered elsewhere.

I have a database of about 100,000 images and each image is assigned one or more of about 350 categories.  Whilst I have no problem in displaying the images associated to each category in a portal, the portal allows for only one image per row to be displayed.  Is there a way to display more than one image per row (e.g. 4 or more)?  I do not need to have the portal scroll horizontally, just vertically.  It should also be noted that the image IDs may not necessarily be consecutive.

For illustrative purposes, this is what I currently have:

Select:  Category1

Portal:   Image1

Image3

Image4

Image7

Image9

Image12

This is what I would like to have:

Select:  Category1

Portal:   Image1    Image3    Image4    Image7

Image9    Image12   ...

Can you help, please?

• 1. Re: Portal - displaying multiple records/images horizontally and vertically
          Sorbsbuster

You can create an illusion of that layout arrangement by having 4 portals side by side, each one starting where the left neighbour finished.  However when you scroll it will scroll each portal independently.  (I think it would be common to only have the right-most portal acrolling.)  How good a solution that is for you mostly depends on how many records you typically get in the match.

• 2. Re: Portal - displaying multiple records/images horizontally and vertically

As some categories may have 2,500+ records/images, I need to be able to scroll down all at once.  Would it be possible to have only one portal and, on each row, several containers linked to a series of calculated lists (eg every 4th image, etc)?  Not sure how this would be scripted though.  Any other ideas?  Many thanks.

• 3. Re: Portal - displaying multiple records/images horizontally and vertically

Consider this table for your portal

Record ID

Image 1 ID

Image 2 ID

Image Last ID

Note that there are no containers, just image IDs. 

This is what you want from my understanding, 4 containers showing images on one portal row.

The trick here is to link the Image ID to your table of images...but make four TOs/Links. One for Image 1 ID, etc. You will have TOs created similar to Images 1, Images 2, Images 3  etc. You can rename these if you like.

Now on yourportal row you drag the container field from the images file onto the portal row, once for each of the TOs. You will have something like:

Images 1::container

Images 2::container

Images 3::container

The images shown will depend upon the values in the Image XX ID field. You can change the value and the images will change.

This works fine on my laptop, a bit slower when I use Go and a bit slower over a remote server...

Let me know if this isn't clear to you...

OK, just remembered a file I was working on with a similar id so I created a screen capture...

• 4. Re: Portal - displaying multiple records/images horizontally and vertically

And here is what it looks like as a working list. Each record is from the Portal file above and the images are from the Screen Capture file where I dragged the field from each 'portal' TO.

You can enter any id number in any of the fields and that image will show up below it.

• 5. Re: Portal - displaying multiple records/images horizontally and vertically

Reading more:

The field that contains the ID number of the related image could be calculated like this

Link 1 = Record Number ID Number

Link 2 = Record Number ID Number + 1

etc.

So, you could set the record ID number to anything to get the next 4 records

For instance:

Delete all records

Set ID number to 0 or 500 or 5000

create any number of records and the links are automatic with the serialized Record Number ID doing the heavy lifting.