2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2009 8:59 AM by Jagman

Portal - Flickering / Flashing

Jagman

Title

Portal - Flickering / Flashing

I am both a newbie to the Mac and Filemaker communities, having been a Windows user for many years, working primarily with PC databases

This year I have purchased an iMac 24" and a MacBook 13", and wished I'd gotten into Apple a long time ago

Mac database wise, I started off with Bento 2, which is great but fairly limiting and I'm now starting to get to grips with Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced

Graphically, Bento produces some beautiful layouts, whilst it seems to take some enormous effort to create something similar with Filemaker

The gripe I have at the moment is the flickering/flashing when using Portals.  If the portal is transparent I get a white flash when moving from record to record, if I use vertical lines to separate fields in the portal they flicker when moving from record to record

Having looked through forums it seems that this problem is a common thread for Windows users, Macs they say, run without such issues

What am I doing wrong?  It took me ages to work out how to turn off the horrible dotted lines around fields (disable Show field frames when record is active under Layout/Setup).  Is there some similar option I need to look for?

I've only been playing around with the portals after installing Snow Leopard so I can't say whether the issue happened before

• 1. Re: Portal - Flickering / Flashing
          TSGal

Jagman:

Thank you for your post.

Is the flickering only happening within portals?  Is the entire screen flickering?  Can you describe your layout a bit more?  For example, are there background colors?  Are there a lot of graphic objects on the layout besides the fields?  Any additional information you can provide may be helpful in determining the possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Portal - Flickering / Flashing
            Jagman

TSGal

Thanks for the response

Yes the flickering only happens within the portal

The layout is very simple at the moment, as I am learning (and playing with) Filemaker

I have 3 edit boxes from 1 table and the portal containing 5 fields from the related table, so not much else happening on screen

I'm trying to get the portal to look like the grid that comes with Bento.  Any vertical lines that I use over the portal to separate fields judder when moving through the records of the main table and if I turn on the right border of the fields within the portal, the same happens.

This is most noticeable if the portal is actually empty

I've found a workaround by having a darker fill colour for the portal and the edit boxes coloured white (or a lighter colour). There is a 1 pixel gap between each field and the height of the portal 1 pixel more that the fields, thus the background colour gives me the horizontal and vertical dividing lines I'm looking for.  Not sure whether this is the correct way to achieve the result

Look forward to your comments

Thanks

Jagman