2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2012 9:23 AM by EduardoMoreno

Portal autoheight

EduardoMoreno

Title

Portal autoheight

Hello Gentlemen, Ladies. I´m a new FM user. I tried +10 different products before, very few ones offer a whole database solution, from creating thru printing, and I decided Filemaker because it has the easiest GUI and strongest tools, on recording as well as programming. My surprise was to find there is not autosized fields. After a short research I found fields can be autosized by using Sliding feature. It works very well, it demands to have two different layouts (recording and printing ones) but that is not an issue. But I now find Portals does not support sliding feature (per record). All of the other 10 apps I tried it does, and very easy to set.

My questions: 

1. Is there a way to set a height of fields by using a script ?, handling variables of fields properties according to string lenght in it? Algorithm would be very easy, the issue is to access height property.

2. Are you planning to add sliding support for Portals ? It is really sad that such powerfull database manager is missing what all others have.

Thanks a lot in advance and excuse my english

Eduardo Moreno

• 1. Re: Portal autoheight
          philmodjunk

1) No

2) Not a question I can answer. (Don't work for the company)

But there is a very good alternative to printing from a portal when you need fields with in the portal row to slide up: Don't use a layout with a portal. You can base your layout on the portal's table in a list view with the fields you would have put in the portal row in the body of the layout. Then they can slide up to adjust for the amount of data in the fields.

You can find an example of this approach in the invoices starter solution that comes with Filemaker. YOu use the portal for data entry, but the print layout used is what I am describing here.

• 2. Re: Portal autoheight
            EduardoMoreno

Thanks a lot Phil, I´ll check it out and let you know. Many many thanks