13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2013 5:34 AM by CurtPeredina

Portal based on multiple tables (complex based on entries in another table)?

CurtPeredina

Title

Portal based on multiple tables (complex based on entries in another table)?

I'm learning filemaker, and I'm trying to accomplish something (which seems difficult to me) using portals.

This portal relates technical bulletins to aircraft using the following tables:

1. Aircraft

2. Technical Bulletins

3. Compliance

So, for one aircraft, there may be many technical bulletins that are for that particular aircraft model. I have a portal for all of the bulletins related by aircraft model using a Cartesian join between aircraft and bulletin table.

For the same aircraft, there may be many compliance records (which also are related to technical bulletins). When a compliance record is created, it is for a technical bulletin. I have a portal for this as well. I use a relationship between the compliance table and a copy of the bulletin table.

So I have two portals - one displays ALL technical bulletins for that model. The other displays ALL compliance records for that aircraft (and the technical bulletins each compliance record represents).

--What I am trying to do:

1. Display a portal of the technical bulletins that do not have an entry in the compliance table for this specific aircraft, but are listed in the technical bulletin table for this aircraft type.

I can picture this using SQL but can't navigate around FileMaker well enough yet..is it possible?

Thanks!