AnsweredAssumed Answered

Portal Calculation Keeps Referring to First Record For Calculation Instead of Current

Question asked by Anthony_1 on Feb 4, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 4, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

Portal Calculation Keeps Referring to First Record For Calculation Instead of Current

Hello All,

First off I have been using Filemaker for a while but I am totally NEW to programming side of it.  I started using it heavily for my Dungeons and Dragons gaming session 2 years where I have created a character sheet template.  With the advent of  my Filemaker 12 upgrade I started learning how to use portals.  One of the portals I have created is based on spells that gives the user information on the spells they are using. In this portal there are two calculations: Calculated Spell Range in Feet and Calculated Duration in Rounds.  These calculations are supposed to  draw upon the users current "Caster Level".  The two fields in the spell portal are in a separate table from the "Caster Level".  An example of this is that it takes the "Caster Level" from one table and multiplies it by the "Spell's Range" from another.   (The tables all have relationships set up between them btw.)

Here is the where the glitch occurs that I, being new, have no idea why it is acting this way.

It will do the calculation correctly for the first record but after that if any new records are created the calculation in the portal of the new record always refers back to the "Caster Level" of the first record or is not seeing the "Caster Level" of the current record it is on so that range and duration are always being calculated from the first record's "Caster Level"

How can I fix this glitch so that the calcuation in the portal will draw from the "Caster Level" of the current record?

Thank you for any help and saving me from the mutiny of players feeling that they are stuck on Level 1

Anthony

Outcomes