8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2009 2:13 PM by philmodjunk

Portal Confusion

bartles

Title

Portal Confusion

I have a solution that requires Purchase Orders.  To accomplish this, I have four tables

Purchase Orders - Primary Key PO# (auto generated) Foreign Keys: VendorID, ItemID, POLine#

PO Lines - Primary Key POLine# (auto generated) Foreign Keys: PO#, ItemID, VendorID

Budget - Primary Key: ItemID  Foreign Keys: PO#, VendorID,

Vendors - Primary Key: VendorID

I have the portal working with Portal Lines populated with Drop Down Menus from values in the Budget Table.  I have tried using the Drop Down Menus using  ItemID  and combinations of the various foreign keys.

Here is the problem.  The portal has 2 problems:

1. No matter what ItemID is selected, the same one populates the portal row.

2. No matter how many fields I populate, it is the same record every time....

I have been working on this for days now... Please help!

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Portal Confusion
          ChadAdams
             Make sure the fields in the portal are based from the same TO that the portal is based on.
          • 2. Re: Portal Confusion
            bartles

I have that... I have honestly never seen a portal do this. It is like the portal is linked to one record rather than the TO.

Any other suggestions?

• 3. Re: Portal Confusion
              ChadAdams

Well, You mention that you fill in the Item ID, but you don't mention an Item Table.

What exactly is the relationship for the Portal?  I would assume that you are on a layout based on Purchase Order and that the portal is based on a Table Occurance that is related to PO Lines.  I am also assuming that the relationship is from the Primary Key in Purchase Orders (something like ID) to the foreign key in POLines (something like ID_PurchaseOrder).  And I'm assuming you have allow creation of related records turned on for the portal and the first field in the portal is Item ID.   Correct so far?

Perhaps some screen pics would help ;-)

• 4. Re: Portal Confusion
                philmodjunk
                   Check over every detail of the relevant relationship(s) very carefully. If you want, list the precise relationship here if you want some one else to have a look.
                • 5. Re: Portal Confusion
                  bartles

The page layout is based upon the Purchasing TO "po_PURCHASING"

One portal on the page is based upon a Budget TO "po_BUDGET". This portal displays the items specified in the current project that are available to be selected for the Purchase Order.  It is just for viewing to remind the user what is available to order.

The portal in question is based upon a POLine TO called "purchasing_POLINES". This portal is populated from drop down menus containing ItemIDs (the primary key in the Budget Table)

The relationships are as follows

po_Purchasing TO to purchasing_POLINES

PO# = PO# (with the ability to create records via this relationship in purchasing_POLines

purchasing_POLINES TO polines_BUDGET_selected

ProjectID = ProjectID and VendorID = VendorID (with the ability to create records via this relationship)

When I use the drop down menus to populate purchasing_POLINES, (Source polines_BUDGET_selected) I can select the itemID from the menu.  The same record (not the one selected) always fills in the fields (which are designated Lookup fields).  The ItemID is correct, but does not match the rest of the record...

• 6. Re: Portal Confusion
                    ChadAdams

bartles wrote: 

When I use the drop down menus to populate purchasing_POLINES, (Source polines_BUDGET_selected) I can select the itemID from the menu.  The same record (not the one selected) always fills in the fields (which are designated Lookup fields).  The ItemID is correct, but does not match the rest of the record...

These lookup fields.  They are in the POLines table correct?  Double check the calc to make sure they are being looked up through a relationship that is POLINES to polines_BUDGET using itemID to itemID.  From what you typed it looks like you're always pulling the same items from BUDGET because the relationship from POLines to Budget is using fields that are the same for all the items (Project ID and Vendor ID).

• 7. Re: Portal Confusion
                      bartles

YOU DID IT!

Thank you! I knew it was something with the relationships, but after 3 days, I'll bet I couldn't pick my own name out of one of those drop down menus!

Thank you so much!

Look forward to hearing from me again on the forum!:smileyvery-happy:

• 8. Re: Portal Confusion
                        philmodjunk

I've been there a time or two.

Sometimes I get my head so twisted around a specific design complexity that I miss some obvious issue that should have jumped out and hit me on the nose. There's no substitute for taking break, focusing on something completely different and then taking a fresh look at it several hours later.