5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2009 10:18 AM by philmodjunk

Portal creating duplicate entries

erob

Title

Portal creating duplicate entries

Hey guys,

I've been trying to set up a portal to create an easy way to add entries to a job but I keep running into the same problem. For some reason whatever I select from the dropdown menu creates duplicates and unifies all previous selections. It's messed up. Anyway, this is what I'd like to do.

I have one table, in it I have contacts and I have jobs. Some contacts work on multiple jobs. I'm trying to create a portal that displays all jobs a contact has worked on and also allows me to select a new job they have been assigned to from a drop down menu.

If anybody can give me a brief description of what I should be doing to make this happen I'd be ever so thankful.

Best,

Rob

• 1. Re: Portal creating duplicate entries
          philmodjunk

"I have one table, in it I have contacts and I have jobs..."

Therein lies the trouble. You should have two tables for this, one for contacts and one for jobs. Then you link your tables by a ContactID number. Your portal would then list records from Jobs on a table that references contacts.

• 2. Re: Portal creating duplicate entries
            erob

Thanks so much for the response.

I reorganized based on your suggestion and indeed it works a bit better but my problem persists. The portal allows selection just fine and entries are displayed okay but what happens is that for every job I assign to a contact in the contacts table a new job entry is entered into jobs table. This makes sense I guess because I said "allow creation of new records based on this relationship" but this isn't what I want to happen.

I want to have a multiple contacts and a SINLGE job and assign that single job to several people. For the people I want to see all the jobs that they've worked on, at the job I want to see all the people that worked on that job.

I just can't pinpoint what I have set up incorrectly.

Thanks so much.

R. 

• 3. Re: Portal creating duplicate entries
              philmodjunk
                 Let's reverse things on the layout then. Base your layout on Jobs and make the portal refer to Contacts.  Enable the "Allow creation.." option for contacts instead of Jobs.
              • 4. Re: Portal creating duplicate entries
                erob

Which layout should I run this test on? The Job overview has a different layout then the Contacts overview and both have 2 different portals on them.

On the Jobs layout I display the name of the contact, on the contact page I display the job id. 

• 5. Re: Portal creating duplicate entries
                  philmodjunk
                     Any layout that refers to your Jobs table. You can create a new blank record and test it there or add it to an existing layout. (enter layout mode and choose layout setup... to see what table is listed there as the "reference" table.