2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2015 7:17 AM by Stu412

Portal data entry and refresh issue

Stu412

Title

Portal data entry and refresh issue

Hi there

I'm using a portal in a popover to allow end users to enter data direct to the main data set.  Existing data already exists in the child table the portal is based on and some calculations pull this data through based on certain criteria.

The problem for me arises when adding a new record to the child data set.  As you click the bottom (blank) row in the portal, the values from the above records disappear from the screen, although the rows, descriptions etc that they're associated with stay.  

I've tried script triggers on entry of the first field of the first record to refresh portals which seems to work, but this doesn't place the entry cursor where it should be.  I have no idea where it goes, but I have to re-click into the first entry field, which is no good.

How can I either prevent these calculated values vanishing when I create a new record (I've not seen this behaviour in other areas of the system) or how can I get the focus back onto a specific field on the new record?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Portal data entry and refresh issue
          philmodjunk

Sounds like there's a summary field there somewhere. Could that be the case? Maybe with calculation fields that access the value of a summary field. What you describe is typical behavior for a summary field--they go blank when you open a record for editing. This isn't really avoidable unless you find a way to use an aggregate function instead of a summary field.

• 2. Re: Portal data entry and refresh issue
            Stu412

Hi Phil

Not directly a summary field, but a calculation I'm using in the portal relies on a calculation which is derived from a summary (summary maximum) field.  I'd guess this to be the root of the problem.