8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2013 2:13 PM by philmodjunk

Portal filter

filemakernew

Title

Portal filter

Hello All,

Please help me about my portal filtering, this was based from basic portal filter from other forum, mine is only one table. I want to incorporate the All option in my dropdown value list but its not working for me.

Please find attached link for your reference.

Any help to improve my first database is highly appreciated. 

Thank you so much.

• 1. Re: Portal filter
          philmodjunk

Last time I tried to access a file shared via 4Shared, it required that I sign up for an account with them. They were pretty slimy with their download page--numerous ad links that pretended to be the download link and links to stuff I wouldn't want my boss or family members to see over my shoulder while I waited for the download delay to count down. It also tripped virus warnings from time to time when I accessed the download page.

For those reasons, I switched to Drop Box as it has none of those drawbacks and is also free.

• 2. Re: Portal filter
            filemakernew

Please find below drop box link of my files.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hso3stt6zi4hzsu/Product_Data.fp7

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7lq1yb341t0mgu/Product_GUI.fp7

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Portal filter
              philmodjunk

Item 1. Your portal does not use a portal filter. It is simply a relationship with the drop down field as the match field.

Item 2. Given item 1, the script trigger on this field can be removed. Not only should it not be necessary, Refresh window with the "Flush cached join results" can, in some cases result in lengthy delays while you wait for your layout to update after the script is executed so it is a good thing that you don't need it.

Here's how you can incorporate an "all" capability:

Go to your data file and add a calculation field to the portal's table with this calculation and a "text" result type:

List ( Type ; "All" )

Return to your GUI file and modify the portal's relationship to match to this new calculation field in place of the original type field.

This works because List produces a return separated list of two values, the specified "type" and the text "All". When used in a match field, your drop down list will match to a record if its value matches to either value in the list. Since all records will have "all" as the second value in this list, selecting "all" in the drop down will then match to all records in the portal's table.

• 4. Re: Portal filter
                filemakernew

Hi Phil, 

I think I'm doing something wrong in implementing your suggestion, I tried it and it says "This action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable "

Please guide me.

Thank you 

• 5. Re: Portal filter
                  philmodjunk

What were you doing when you got that error message?

At first, I was guessing that you were trying to use the portal to add a new record, but "allow creation" is not permitted for the portal anyway so this would not appear to be what you were doing when you got that error message...

• 6. Re: Portal filter
                    filemakernew

Hi Phil,

Thank you. I  got it work.

• 7. Re: Portal filter
                      filemakernew

Hi Phil, 

Sorry I'm so excited,I know I already checked my question as answered but I notice that if Im choosing   into my dropdown list the type of a certain material is changing.

please see attached file for your reference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hso3stt6zi4hzsu/Product_Data.fp7

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7lq1yb341t0mgu/Product_GUI.fp7

Thank you so much.

• 8. Re: Portal filter
                        philmodjunk

For some reason, you changed the drop down's field from Filter_Select to Type. Change it back to Filter_Select and make sure that Filter_Select remains the match field for the relationship. (it should be a match between Filter_Select and the new calculation field.)