5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2013 9:51 AM by philmodjunk

portal help

ericjlindholm

Title

portal help

attached is a basic mockup of my database.  I need to create a portal on layout that is displays the "schedule" table that will list other equipment list schedules for that date.  I am stumped. 

FM_relationship_mock.jpg

• 1. Re: portal help
          philmodjunk

I need to create a portal on layout that is displays the "schedule" table that will list other equipment list schedules for that date.

You have two schedule tables.

What is an "other equipement list schedule"? Is that a single record in Equipment List? Multiple records in Schedule Times? Or ???

• 2. Re: portal help
            ericjlindholm

for example for one event "Event A" is two days long.  There are Equipment lists "stage 1" and "Stage 2".  Both equipment lists have 2 schedules (one for each date, 4 total schedules).  On a single schedule layout out, I want to be able to list other schedules related to that event on that date.  

• 3. Re: portal help
              philmodjunk

What version of FileMaker are you using?

"Event A" is two days long

meaning that you have one record in Events for Event A?

There are Equipment lists "stage 1" and "Stage 2"

And thus, two related records in Equipment list, one for each "stage"?

Both equipment lists have 2 schedules (one for each date, 4 total schedules)

And now I rephrase my original question:

How are those "4 schedules" structured in your system? Do you have 4 records in Schedule Dates, one for each schedule? And what is the function of Schedule Times in this schema? Will data from Schedule Times need to be included for each schedule?

If I am guessing correctly, what match fields will link a record in Equipment Lists toa  record in Schedule Dates?

Would it be this?

Equipment Lists::__pkEquipListID = Schedule Dates::_fkEquipListID

of course your field names may be different...

• 4. Re: portal help
                ericjlindholm

Your guess is correct.

I have 4 Schedule date records (schdules are one date only). There are many times for each schedule date.

So if I am looking at schedule for stage 1/ day1. I want a portal that will list other equipment list names related to the same event on that date only.

• 5. Re: portal help
                  philmodjunk

A self join could link a record in Schedule Dates to all other records in Schedule Dates with the same date, and then a portal can list them all--and there are ways to limit the relationship to "all other" schedule date records of the same date by including a pair of match fields with the "not equals" operator to exclude the Schedule Date records with the same primary key.

But If you might have two or more events with overlapping dates, you'd also need to set up portal filter expressions to filter out schedule date records for other events.