1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 7, 2010 11:06 AM by philmodjunk

Portal help required?

diggydog

Title

Portal help required?

Hi, I need some help with a portal which I need to overcome.

I have 4 tables being company, product, purchase_order and order_product. The portal is set as follows:

purchase_order (is master) and order_product (is detail / portal)

The system works fine and the portal (order_product) displays records relevant to the purchase_order.

The product_description field (not primary key) in order_product looks up values using a value list from the product table.

What I want to do is to filter the value list so that it only offers values relevant to the company_name selected in the purchase_order part of the form.

i.e if the company selected is called Glass Company, the value list shows only Glass products.

Each product record that is stored in the product table has a company_name applied.

Hope this is understandable! Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Portal help required?
          philmodjunk

This is called a conditional value list and you can learn more about how to set them up by searching that term out in the Knowledge Base which you can find in the Support menu at the top of your screen.

In your case, you'll need a relationship between Purchase_Order and Product that looks something like this:

Purchase_Order::CompanyID = ProductsByCompany::CompanyID  // ProductsByCompany is a table occurrence of Products

Now you can specify values for a value list from ProductsByCompany and use the "show only  related values starting from Purchase_Order" to get a list of only those products that have the same CompanyID number in Products.

If "table occurrence" is a new term, see this thread to learn more:  Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?