8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2010 10:20 AM by fluffyone

Portal in a portal?

fluffyone

Title

Portal in a portal?

Hi Group

is it possible to have a portal in a portal?

I want to have a portal list contact data from a database, so each row will show 1 contact with their details. And just underneath this another portal that shows all related phone numbers and emails for that contact.

And then the next row in the main portal will show the next contact with all their related contact numbers etc.. Underneath  and so on..

Regards

Fluffy

• 1. Re: Portal in a portal?
          mrvodka

Have a global field set with the ID of the record in the first portal. Then the second portal will be based on a relationship from this global field to the grandchild table. So when a user choose a particular portal row, the global field sets with the ID and thus the second portal will reflect only the related records for that particular ID.

• 2. Re: Portal in a portal?
            fluffyone

Hi mr vodka

thanks for your reply

what I want to do is setup a portal, and within each line created in the portal will be another 2 or 3 portals showing collected data based on the initial portal information.

I have just posted another post wich was an earlier atttempt to explain my needs.

Regards Fluffy

• 3. Re: Portal in a portal?
              mrvodka

Like I said, set a global field.

Here is an example:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/209752/post/334277/#334277

• 4. Re: Portal in a portal?
                fluffyone

Hi Mr Vodka

I have got it working almost now thanks.

I have a button in the first portal that selects the global field and then I can see any related records in the second portal. I am using the second portal to input the required information as well, so if there is no data I still click the button in the first portal to make the global id field correct and then I enter in the required data.

This seems to work as intended, but there is a glitch. Although the portal is filling up with the new data and as I create a new line it displays OK  and as I click through the buttons on the first portal the second portal changes and shows the intended data. However when I look in the actual table of the second portal it is not storing any of the data. Which confuses me as it is still in the portal?

I am looking into it now, I am assuming it is a relationship issue.

Regards

Fluffy

• 5. Re: Portal in a portal?
                  fluffyone

Hi Mr. Vodka

Ignore that last post!  it was a long day and my brain was melting!!!! The reason why the records were building up in the portal but not on show when I looked in the actual table view was because I had a search activated and it was only showed the found records.  How silly I feel!!!

Sometimes it pays to have a rest and re look at it the next day!

I am pretty sure I now what I am doing know for sure, I will know later today.

Thanks for your help so far.

Regards

Fluffy

• 6. Re: Portal in a portal?
                    fluffyone

Hi Mr. Vodka

I think I have this working now, the only issue I have is the second portal which shows data based on a global field relationship, stays with the details of the last record that was set by the global ID field until I click my button for it to update to the new ID? 

This means if the main form record changes the portal still shows the old data data and can be a little confusing.

How can I have this automatically clear out the data when I change the main record?

Regards

Fluffy

• 7. Re: Portal in a portal?
                      mrvodka

Use a OnRecordLoad script trigger to set the global to the first child record.

• 8. Re: Portal in a portal?
                        fluffyone

Perfect!  Am now working on the email capaign I started of with in the first place.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Fluffy