1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2015 8:59 AM by philmodjunk

Portal information

TobyGross

Title

Portal information

I have a problem with some info in my portal table,,,,,I have five tables I am starting to enter info in the 3rd table then in the second table i add more info via portal in the 3rd table , why cant I look at it in the 4th table and add info via a portal setup ????? Could it be cause some of the field come from different tables?

Thanks, in advance

• 1. Re: Portal information
          philmodjunk

No way to answer that without knowing exactly what relationships have been set up for your different fields, on which of them you based your layout, on which of them you based your portal, exactly what fields from what table occurrences have been put in the portal row and there are other details beyond that which may be needed.

• 2. Re: Portal information
            TobyGross

can you look at this file Seed Receiving ....I have most things working like i want them to , the only problem I have i cant look and add data in the LoaderField layout......

Thanks

• 3. Re: Portal information
              TobyGross

Looks like my file didnt go through how can I upload it so you can see it? 

• 4. Re: Portal information
                philmodjunk

Why not just upload a screen shot of Manage | database | Relationships? And then post a description of which "box" in that graph is specified in Layout Setup | Show Records From and then also which one is specified in Show Related Records from in portal setup?

You can follow that with a second post where you upload a screen shot of the portal on your layout taken while in layout mode.

It is possible to upload a file to a sharing site and then you post the download link here, but, I'd prefer not to "hunt" through your file trying to figure out what parts of it apply to this particular post.

• 5. Re: Portal information
                  TobyGross

Hi I will be posting three photos of my problem what i have a problem with is in my portal when I select to correct loaderfieldgrowerIDFK/Ticket# the correct info appears then when I go and add (click on the next box below to add another record whatever I select on the next row, the top row changes to that value that I selected on the next row) 

Thanks,

• 6. Re: Portal information
                    TobyGross

setup of portal

• 7. Re: Portal information
                      TobyGross
                      /files/e3524c41fb/testing_3_portal.png 3280x1050
                      • 8. Re: Portal information
                        philmodjunk

You have either a relationship problem or a layout design issue here.

A portal is most often used to list multiple records from a table that is linked in a relationship to the layout's table in a one to many relationship. The current record in the layout's table links to many records in the portal's table. But your relationship graph shows a "many to one" relationship. It is set up to link one record in OutGoingLoad to many records in LoaderField.

But your layout design is set up for the opposite, One record in LoaderField linking to many records in OutGoingLoad.

I can't be sure which relationship is correct as you could resolve the basic database issue by either changing your relationship or your layout. By the names here, I would guess that a given record in LoaderField should link to many records in OutGoingLoad. From the Names, I picture a harvester harvesting a large field with multiple trucks trucking away harvested crops, but that's a guess that could easily be wrong.

If I am not wrong, you need to modify your data to match a uniqueID generated in LoaderField to a Foreign key field in OutGoingLoad--which is the opposite of what you have currently set up in your relationships.

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking

• 9. Re: Portal information
                          TobyGross

What I am trying to do is the outgoing loads, where the loads are created then they are modified in the grower table, I would then like to select then in the loaderfield table via the ticket # and add more info, I know I am getting close to having what I want but yet so far away.........I don't quit think I have the relationships correct,,, 

Thanks, 

• 10. Re: Portal information
                            TobyGross

I made some changes to the relationships, now in my loaderfield table layout I click on the portal and select the ticket# that I want and all the correct info shows up but the problem that I have is when I click on the next line in the portal and select a ticket# the top row changes to that value also.....what would I have done wrong or what do I need to correct?

Or is this even possible what I am trying to do>/?

Thanks,Toby

• 11. Re: Portal information
                              philmodjunk

The term "ticket number" is unclear to me as to it's function. What does it identify? The Load? The grower? The Crop?

If Ticket # identifies the load, it should be defined in the related outgoing load table. That appears to be what you have done however, your relationship still has the same issue that I already identified. You have a one to many layout design built on top of a many to one relationship. From what I see, it looks like you need different match fields so that you use a unique ID in LoaderField matching to an fk field in outgoingLoad that identifies the field from which the load is being harvested. The "crows feet" in your screen shot tell me that you do not yet have the relationship correct.

• 12. Re: Portal information
                                TobyGross

Yes the Ticket# identify' s the Load,,,     I am not sure if you understand what I am trying to do, what I am doing is in my outgoingload table I am adding new records and then that's where I add the ticket#, now in the grower table I have a portal setup that where I click on the ticket# and select whatever I created in outgoingload (its a drop down list from the outgoingload:ticket# ) I then add more info like weight etc. now all this info goes back to outgoinload attached to the unique ticket#........    works like I want it to..... I would then like to bring these ticket# up in my loaderfield in a portal cause thats where these loads will be planted,     I have tried to create a relationship like these and not the correct results....

Thanks,

• 13. Re: Portal information
                                  philmodjunk

I now see a correct relationship. Linking a unique record in LoaderField to a foreign key in Outgoing load. This now looks consistent with the portal setup on your layout.

• 14. Re: Portal information
                                    TobyGross

I still have something wrong somewhere none of the info is showing up though, the drop down is working correctly but when I click on the Loaderfield1IDFK and select whatever ticket# I want none of the info appears, and I cant add loads..

Thanks,

1 2 Previous Next