1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2014 12:10 PM by philmodjunk

portal inside portal

cn2

Title

portal inside portal

I realize that this can't be done, but what is the right approach to the situation?

In a Curriculum table there are fields keyID, gradeyear and Subject

In table GradeYear there are fields KeyID, grade, and year

These two tables are joined by an = relationship Curriculumm::Grade  to  GradeYear::Grade  and  Curriculum::Year to GradeYear::Year

In table Textbook there are fields KeyID, and textbook        This table is joined by Textbook::KeyID to Curriculum:KeyID

In a layout from the table GradeYear I want display the Subject and then the Textbook  when sorted by the GradeYear::Year and GradeYear::Grade

Like this

GradeYear::Year

GradeYear::Grade

Curriculum::Subject

Textbook::Textbook

Textbook::Textbook

Textbook::Textbook      and so on

• 1. Re: portal inside portal
          davidanders

Defining relational databases are covered in the first five links here.
          http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/f6ed4be796?commentId=222931#222931

What do you have and how is it to be reported....

A Textbook will always be for a specific subject?

Grade Subjects will have Textbooks that can change from Year to Year....

• 2. Re: portal inside portal
            philmodjunk

There are several approaches to getting around the "no portal inside a portal" limitation.

One is to have a pair of portals side by side that are "synched" with buttons/scripts such that selecting a portal row in portal 1 displays the records related to that portal record in portal 2: Need layout solution for nested portals...

Another method is to use a list view layout based on the Portal 1 layout and then The "inner portal" would be put in the body of this list view.

• 3. Re: portal inside portal
              cn2

I don't want to have to select a button to get the results if possible. In the list view as mentioned would I be able to summarize by the year and grade fields?

• 4. Re: portal inside portal
                philmodjunk

That should be possible.

• 5. Re: portal inside portal
                  cn2

In addition to the original post and  I failed to mention it,  is that I'm trying to display it from the student table which is relate by Student::KeyID to GradeYears::KeyID.  I'm posting the file for you to see what I'm trying to do. From the student details layout I want to select the student curriculum tab and display the curriculum for that particular student. it would look something like this

Student

Year

Subject

Textbook

I may not have the database structured properly? 

why can't i post the file?

• 6. Re: portal inside portal
                    philmodjunk

The Table Occurrence on which you base the layout is critical. If you have this relationship: Table1----< Table2---<Table 3, (----< means "one to many" ) the list view method that I briefly mentioned must be based on Table 2--the "middle" table occurrence. That way, you can include fields from Table 1 in a sub summary layout part and place a portal to table 3 in the body of the layout.

• 7. Re: portal inside portal
                      cn2
                      /files/9f01575032/Screen_Shot_2014-02-12_at_6.46.24_PM.png 717x412
                      • 8. Re: portal inside portal
                        philmodjunk

First off, you have 4 tables involved instead of three:

Students----<GradeYears>-----<Curriculum-----<Textbooks

The relationship shown in red is the major problem here. It's what I call an "amorphous many to many" relationship. Any given record in Curriculum can link to any number of records in GradeYears and vice versa. It's not a "true" many to many relationship or you'd have a join table between them managing the links between them.

If you base your layout on GradeYears, not Students, ( This is the "table 2" that I was referring to), then you could place Fields from Students in a Subsummary layout part "When sorted by Student_IDKEY". You can then add a portal to Textbooks in the body and it would list all textbooks for each GradeYear. BUT this will not provide a "break down" by subject. And note that for a given Grade and year, you'll get the same list of textbooks in every case as your students are linked to the same set of curriculum records in each such case.

• 9. Re: portal inside portal
                          cn2

Ok thanks. Ive looked at creating a join table but not sure how to do it. how would it work in this situation?

• 10. Re: portal inside portal
                            philmodjunk

First, let's make sure that we are on the same page here.

If there are 5 students, Grade 10, year 2014. Do they each link to curriculum records that are different for each student? (One student takes Geometry, English, and Cooking; another takes Chemistry, Japanese, and ....)

Or do all students of the same grade and year get the same curriculum?

This is where I think that your current data model fails to work as you need it to.

• 11. Re: portal inside portal
                              cn2

5 students in grade 10 all take the same subjects no exceptions

• 12. Re: portal inside portal
                                cn2

backing up a bit the reason for creating the grade years table in the beginning (its grown from just a student database into a curriculum) was to create a list of years that that student is going to be in school based on their birthdate and a filterdate to determine when the school starts for that child. filterdate =<9/1(getbirthYear) or > 9/1(getbirthYear)+1.  and then the records (grades K - 8 are created in the grade year table after the student is committed in the student table.  so for every student there are 9 grade year records

then later i wanted to create subjects and define them a year and grade so i started a new table called curriculum . so in a curriculum year there are 8 subjects (which have many textbooks created in another table) and 9 grades so 72 records are created for every year

• 13. Re: portal inside portal
                                  philmodjunk

But then all 5 students will show the same exact list of text books, correct? Seems redundant unless you want this report for a single student across multiple years. Is that what you had in mind?

Off topic:

5 students in grade 10 all take the same subjects no exceptions

Glad I didn't attend that high school! (But maybe you have a school for younger students than high school...)

• 14. Re: portal inside portal
                                    cn2

yes thats right the report could be called from the year and grade but also wanted to from a student. I mentioned no exceptions now ill rephrase that a bit. I did have in mind that if a particular need in the future arose it could include an exception maybe I should set it up that way so to include that. This is a small private school that goes thru the 8th grade.

1 2 Previous Next