7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2012 2:13 AM by Fagreement

Portal issue

Fagreement

Title

Portal issue

Hello,

I have a table named Item, and another ItemAuthor and a third one named Author. So the ItemAuthor is a cross table between the 2 others (an item can have more than one author, and an author can write more than one item).

Now in my data entry layout, connected to Item, I am displaying all the fields of the Item. till now it is ok.

Now how can I allow the user to insert, through a portal, multiple author for this item? what i need is to let the user select an Author from a list box that exist in every record in the portal.

What I did, but doesn't work, is to insert a portal in this layout and linked to ItemAuthor table, and I put the field ItemAuthorID inside as a list box. doesn't work :(

thanks

• 1. Re: Portal issue
          philmodjunk

Item--<ItemAuthor>-----Author

Item::__pkItemID = ItemAuthor::_fkItemID
               Author::__pkAuthorID = ItemAuthor::_fkAuthorID

Is my understanding of your setup.

See Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained if any of the above notation is unfamiliar.

A portal to ItemAuthor with ItemAuthor::AuthorID formatted with a value list of values from Author::__pkAuthorID should work for this, provided that you enable "Allow creation of records via this relationship" for ItemAuthor in the Item to Itemauthor relationship.

"Doesn't work" doesn't tell me HOW it doesn't work for you, which limits me to telling you how it should be set up in order to work.

Here's a demo file that illustrates this set up plus several more sophisticated approaches: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyir7cs0yxmbn6i/ManyToManywDemoWExtras.fp7

• 2. Re: Portal issue
            Fagreement

Hi,

I checked all the points below, everything is ok, but when i tried to enter via the list box a value I havea message: "this action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable"

Please note that i'm useing SQLSERVER  as database

• 3. Re: Portal issue
              philmodjunk

So the table exists in SQLServer?

What kind of link to that table have you set up? Is this an ESS connection? or are you importing data via ODBC and then using Execute SQL to push the data back to the server?

Is the value list format set up for the Id field from the join table or the id field from the author table? It should be set up for the ID field from the Join table.

• 4. Re: Portal issue
                Fagreement

the table are created in SQL. ESS via ODBC yes.

i have a FK relatiionship in Sql, and i did also the relationship between tables in FM.

please see attach for details.

many thanks.

• 5. Re: Portal issue
                  philmodjunk

You cannot upload any files except gif, jpg or png files. If you want to upload a different file, you have to upload to a file sharing site such as Drop Box and then post the down load link in your post.

I don't see an answer to this in your last post:

Is the value list format set up for the Id field from the join table or the id field from the author table? It should be set up for the ID field from the Join table.

• 6. Re: Portal issue
                    Fagreement

this is the link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gqjlfj5f1fm4ygw/x8VJdMfzyN

thanks

• 7. Re: Portal issue
                      Fagreement

it works, thanks!