3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2013 10:49 AM by philmodjunk

Portal Issue

geauxvols

Title

Portal Issue

Good afternoon,

I'm pretty new to FM, but I've been an Access/VB/SQL/.NET developer for awhile now. I'm working on a solution using FM12 Pro Advanced, and this is something simple, but I guess I am missing something. I created a simple table with 8 fields, and a layout that allows the EU to enter data there. I want to create another layout that simply shows a subset of data from the original table, limited by a value from one of the fields in the table. I want this to be a portal view, where several records, sorted chronologically, will be available to the EU. However, when I try to populate the portal with records, every selection I have is grayed out. (See attachment.)

Why am I not able to select a table here for the portal?

Thanks,

David

FM_Error.png

• 1. Re: Portal Issue
          schamblee

Portals display records based on a relationship.  The tables are grayed out because they are not related to the primary table.

• 2. Re: Portal Issue
            geauxvols

Fair enough, but for example, on the Microsoft side, if I want a form to display all records where the status is opened, I would create a query, and link the form to the query as the data source. How do I do that in FileMaker?

• 3. Re: Portal Issue
              philmodjunk

Filemaker does it with Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?, the "boxes" found in Manage | Database | relationships.

You can open that window/tab panel and click your existing table to select it, then click the ++ button to duplicate the table occurrence. This creates a new reference to the same table and now you can define a relationship between two occurrences of the same table. You can use special match fields or a portal filter to limit the records to just those with status= "open".