8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2010 8:57 PM by a_sun

Portal issue, please HELP!!!

a_sun

Title

Portal issue, please HELP!!!

Hi, Please HELP!

I have created a portal summary which allow end user to do 2 action in same row.

1st action is allow end user to tick the Options.
          2nd allow end user to select the Status from the drop down list.

Question:
          how should i do it, if i want each "Options" have itself "Status", eg.
          - "Options" value = N/A, Cutting, Binding, Finishing, Folding, Packing (display with check box)
          - "Status" value = Printed, Ready for binding, Ready for folding, Ready for finishing, Ready for packing, Ready for Ship (display with drop down list)

I have created the portal summary with:
          Each row have "Options" which display with check box & 6 drop down list in each row which allow end user to select the "Status" for the "Options" Action.

My issue is I don't know how to control the "Status" for each "Options".
          If each status specify same field name, the result are all the same selection
          but if i specify different field name, how do i relationship with the main Status (which is related with whole system database)?

Sorry for my bad english, hope my explanation is clear enough.

Thanks in advance,
          a_sun

• 1. Re: Portal issue, please HELP!!!
          philmodjunk

Is this what you want?

If the user selects an option of "N/A", only the list of status values appropriate for "N/A" should appear (probably an empty list).

If the user selects "Cutting" only the status values for "Cutting" should be listed

and so forth.

If that's what you want, you can set up a conditional value list for this:

Here's a thread on setting up conditional value lists:

Custom Value List?

• 2. Re: Portal issue, please HELP!!!
            a_sun

Hi Phil:

Thanks for your reply.
            I need:
            Each portal row have 6 same "Status" selections.

Portal Capture Screen

Further info for the relational structure.
            I am creating a database for printing work flow solution.
            start from create job docket to end delivery flow.
            each flow have status itself with same relational.
            meant, job docket =>status will shown the status of the work flow.
            so this portal summary is part of the work flow eg. => post press flow.
            post press is more complicated, I need to get each options each status, so that job docket can get the status.

My issue is I don't know how to control the "Status" for each "Options".
            (I can control if each portal row with only 1 "Status", BUT if with 6 "Status"... I lost then.)
            If each status specify same field name, the result are all the same selection for all 6 "Status"
            but if i specify different field name (with this only can shown 6 different "Status" in each portal row),
            BUT the whole work flow status cannot link up.

Phil. really need your guidance. Thanks in advance. :)

Regards,

a_sun

• 3. Re: Portal issue, please HELP!!!
              philmodjunk

I looks like you have one record where you should have 6 related records--one for each option--which would give you a separate record for each Qty and Status field.

• 4. Re: Portal issue, please HELP!!!
                a_sun

Hi Phil:

Yes exactly!
                how to do with status field ?
                I have created 6 separate status fields value list, but that cannot link up with the job docket status.
                Assume job docket status is "main/master" status, then how to play with 6 separate status fields related records?

My mind is stuck there :(

Please help!

Thanks,

a_sun

• 5. Re: Portal issue, please HELP!!!
                  philmodjunk

Since you can't place a portal inside of a portal, If possible, I'd make the layout you posted earlier a list view layout rather than a portal. That then allows you to have a portal to your "status" records.

Job::JobID = Status::JobID

Make status a drop down list or pop up menu instead of check boxes. Now your status table can have the fields: JobID, Quantity, and Status.

You can even write a script that creates these six related records for you each time you need to create a new "job" record.

• 6. Re: Portal issue, please HELP!!!
                    a_sun

Hi Phil:

How to  write a script that creates these six related records for create a new "job" record? Can I have a sample script?

Thanks,

a_sun

• 7. Re: Portal issue, please HELP!!!
                      philmodjunk

Let's assume your options value list is called "Options". Let's call the table of related records "JobStatus".

#This script creates one related record in JobStatus for each value in the Options value list

Freeze Window

Set Variable [ $I ; Value: 1 ]

SetVariable [$Options ; Value:  ValueListItems ( Get ( FileName ) ; "Options" ) ]

SetVariable[$JobID ; Value: Jobs::JobID ]

Go To Layout [ "JobStatus" (JobStatus) ]

Loop

Exit Loop IF [ $I > ValueCount ( $Options ) ]

New Record/Request

Set Field [ JobStatus::JobID ; $JobID ]

Set Field [JobStatus:: Option ; GetValue ( $Options ; $I ) ]

Set Variable [$I ;Value $I + 1 ]

End Loop

Go To Layout [ Original Layout]

Notes: Get ( Filename ) in the ValueLIstItems function allows your script to get the list of Options values even if you change your file's name at some point. If you should rename your value list at some point in the future, this script will fail and no related records will be created.

• 8. Re: Portal issue, please HELP!!!
                        a_sun

Hi Phil:

Thank you so much, will try on it. :)