5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2012 9:10 AM by philmodjunk

Portal Issues Again Please help!

mel_shamamyan@mcmintegrated.co

Title

Portal Issues Again Please help!

Hello Again,

I am still having portal issues and its probably caused by the relatonships I have setup. Please take a look at the screenshots. When I select the Estimates layout the portal works fine, all of my variables are from Estimates Data. But when I choose the layout for Estimate Data and my variables are in Estimate Data the portal does not work!

The reason I need Estimate Data to be my layout is because I imported over 4000 records which imported fine, but if the portal for Estimate Data doesnt show then I can't see my calculations! Please take a look below I appreciate any help.

relationships.png

• 1. Re: Portal Issues Again Please help!
          /files/eb6bc09ffd/Purchase_Order.png 621x773
          • 2. Re: Portal Issues Again Please help!

As you can see there is no qty, model or description in the portal!! But if I change the layout to show records from Estimates, I can enter data in the portal, but everything I imported is in the Estimates Data not the Estimates!

• 3. Re: Portal Issues Again Please help!
              philmodjunk

You can't base the layout and the portal on the same table occurrence. (A table occurrence is what we call each 'box' found in Manage | Database | relationships.)

The link between the layout's table occurrence and the portal's table occurrence is what controls which records will appear in the portal for a given record in the layout's found set.

What result are you trying to produce here? What's the connection between the fields shown above the portal and those listed in the portal?

It may be that you need a self-join between Estimate Data and an additional table occurrence of Estimate Data so that you can specify Estimate Data for your layout and the additional occurrence for the portal. But I have no idea at this point what relationship between the two occurrences would make sense.

• 4. Re: Portal Issues Again Please help!

Basically here is what I am trying to do and at this point I can start from scratch if I have to. I have a database from FM8 which has 4000 records of PO's. I need to import it into FileMaker 12.. this file has a portal in it which has qty, model, description, cost and total..

I imported the records into Estimates Data because I had fields which matched the old fields. And the only way the portal was working was when it was set to Estimates and not Estimate Data...

Can I somehow create another layout called PO and create the fields to be called estimate data and have make the portal work?

Sorry its confusing for me too at this point.

• 5. Re: Portal Issues Again Please help!
                  philmodjunk

Basically here is what I am trying to do and at this point I can start from scratch if I have to. I have a database from FM8 which has 4000 records of PO's. I need to import it into FileMaker 12.. this file has a portal in it which has qty, model, description, cost and total..

That implies two related tables of data unless this was a "self join" between two occurrences of the same table. What relationship was there between the layout's table occurrence and the portal's? (You can identify a layout's table occurrence in layout setup... where it is specified in the "show records from" drop down. You can identify the portal's table occurrence in "show related records from" in the portal setup... dialog.)

Did you import data from both tables?

You need to figure out how the relationship worked in your original database so that you can be sure to recreate it in the new.