2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2011 9:22 AM by philmodjunk

portal list linked to permanent id

MelindaCorey

Title

portal list linked to permanent id

I hope I can explaiin what I need to do in way that makes sense... please bear with me, adn ask me questions if youneed clarification.  For the record I am on using FM Pro Advanced 11 on mac osX, am beginner-intermediate skill in FM.

We have a mailing list database the includes a Permanent ID field -- this field cannot be duplicated, everyone has a specific ID.  Years ago, the company assigned SSN for the permanent ID, but transistioned (for new people) to using FNameLnameZip for the permanent ID.  We still have a lot active accounts with the SSN, and we would like to get rid of all SSN in our DB.

The tricky part: our mailing list layout includes several portals that store course numbers for each individual -- linked to permanent id.  If I just change the permanent id, then I lose all record of the courses in which an individual participated, which also clears out information in a regitration database (also linked to the portal).

So, how do I change the permanent id without losing the inforamtion stored in the portal?

~Melinda

• 1. Re: portal list linked to permanent id
          mgores

First I would save a back up copy, then create another ID field for each contact, an auto entered/unique serial number.  This would be different than your permenantID in that it would just be a number and different for every contact ( What if 2 people named John Smith lived in 90210).  To assign that new ID for the exisiting contacts you can place the field on a contact layout and use the replace field contents using the serial number option.  Then go to the last record, see what that number is, go back to that fields definition and set the starting point for the next number.

Also add that new ID to each of the related tables and the relationships.  Once you make sure that all the realted course records have that ID for everyone you can change the relationships to use only the new ID.  The SSN field can then be eliminated.  You can keep the FNameLnameZip field if people are used to seeing and using it, but I would not use it for relationships.

• 2. Re: portal list linked to permanent id
            philmodjunk

Then go to the last record, see what that number is, go back to that fields definition and set the starting point for the next number.

Or select the option in the replace field contents dialog that does this for you automatically. Wink

Also add that new ID to each of the related tables and the relationships.

This can be done with a second replace fields operation by using the calcultion option to copy the value already entered on the parent record to each related child record.