3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2013 11:48 AM by philmodjunk

Portal lookup in active table

LarsGrieten

Title

Portal lookup in active table

Hi all,

Filemaker-amateur over here! I now have a DBase where i store procedures. In this large tables all the steps of every patient are stored. Since each procedure has multiple steps there is an indicator that specifies which measured values correspond to which step. !!!Important, steps vary between patients so a standardized protocol is not possible.

The thing I would like to create is that when the operator is inserting the values in the layout, and he is adding a new step, there is portal that shows which steps he already entered. If you work in multiple tables this is easy by using a portal that performs the lookup. However when I try this i cannot make a portal that looksup the values for the table I'm actively working in.

In the attached figure you can see my layout and the box in orange is what I would like to have, this is not a working portal (made this with text labels). The other figure shows the table.

So my question: Is there a way to create a portal lookup for the active table you are working in? so you have a nice overview of the different steps you already performed?

If not clear or other pictures are required please let me know!

Thanks a lot!!

Lars

naamloos.JPG

• 1. Re: Portal lookup in active table
          philmodjunk

Please describe the structure of your database. What tables and relationships are involved?

One portal cannot dynamically select different tables or table occurrences as its data source so a different approach will be needed.

• 2. Re: Portal lookup in active table
            LarsGrieten

Hi,

I do not think the structure of the database matters. (it is a relational dbase with a patients table that relates to a contact, which in turn relates to a contact type in this case an ECHO)

The nice thing about a portal is, if you are in the layout of the patients table, you can create a portal that looks up/shows the related records from the echo table. But if you are in the echo table, you cannot use the portal to create a lookup of related records from the echo table itself since the portal is created in the layout of the "active" table. Is there a way around this?

I attached a figure where the table of echo is shown, as you can see these records all handle the same patient with different load intervals. I would like to see in my layout which load intervals I already have entered in this table so I cannot make a mistake. Is this possible?

thanks a lot!!

• 3. Re: Portal lookup in active table
              philmodjunk

Knowing the basic structure of your database does matter. without a more detailed description of your tables, the purpose of each and how they link in relationships, I cannot make a useful suggestion on how to help you.

Please explain what you mean by an "echo table".

You can create, edit, and delete records though use of a portal so I am not clear why you are encountering problems with your use of a portal, but sharing some more of those design details should clear up that issue for me.