5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2011 12:12 PM by philmodjunk

portal problem

denno

Title

portal problem

I have a table named Actions with 2 fields: action and status.

Status is a value list with accomplished, pending & future.

I'd like to have a ldashboard-type layout that shows 3 columns that correspond to the statuses and displays the actions in each status. I thought I could do this with 3 portals that each filter based on a status. I created 3 copies of the Actions table that are linked by status but that didn't work.

• 1. Re: portal problem
          philmodjunk

This should work. You'll need to look carefully at your relationships and portal filter expressions to figure out why it didn't. You may need to check the data type of your status field to make sure that it is text not number.

Feel free to post more details about what you tried and how it failed if you want help with the "sleuthing".

• 2. Re: portal problem
            denno

My database structure has 4 tables: Actions (this was the original one that I copied into 3 more: accomplished, pending & future.) The latter 3 all relate to Actions by the Status field.

As an example. the portal to display Accomplished actions has these settings:

Layout is from the Actions table

Show related records from Accomplished

Filter portal records: accomplished::status = "Accomplished"

The field to display in the portal is Accomplished:Action 

Thanks as usual Phil!

• 3. Re: portal problem
              philmodjunk

4 tables: Actions (this was the original one that I copied into 3 more: accomplished, pending & future.)

How did you "copy" these tables? The duplicate button on the Tables tab in Manage | database or the duplicate (two plus signs) button on the relationships tab? Or did you import the table with the new table option?

The latter 3 all relate to Actions by the Status field.

Exactly how did you do this?

This relationship would match the value of status in the current record in the Actions table to the value of status in each of these three related tables. That relationship likely is preventhing you from seeing all three groups of records here. You can probabaly update these three relationships to use the cartesian join operator (x) and then they'll work, but I don't have enough detail on how you set this up to be sure.

• 4. Re: portal problem
                denno

Changed the relationship from match to join--that fixed it. Thanks!

They were copied by self-joining...I dragged the Status field onto itself but forgot about the relationship type of join...

• 5. Re: portal problem
                  philmodjunk

Just to avoid future confusion, you did not actually copy any tables here, you created new occurrences of and existing table. Table Occurrences are the "boxes" found in manage | Database | Relationships and you can create as many of these for the same table as you need for your relationships--but this does not change the number of Tables in your database system.