5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2012 8:44 AM by Sorbsbuster

Portal Problems

amtrakpdx

Title

Portal Problems

Hello Friends,

Newby here.  I have an accounting DB.  One table holds account names and has a key for each of those account records.  The other is a table of transactions.  The Transaction table has fields for transactions: Key, date, acct FROM, amt $ of transaction, and acct TO. 

I just learned how to do Portals and it works well, but only when I do the fillowing:

I can create a relationship from the Acct Tbl key to the acct FROM field 'OR' I can create a relationship from the Acct Tbl key to the acct TO field and have the portal work but I can't get the portal to work when I develop a relationship to BOTH of the acct fields in the transaction table.  I have to have the portal show the results of both of the fields.  How do I do this?  Please give me simple explanations I'm new and want to understand this.

TIA for your help,

Allyson

• 1. Re: Portal Problems
          Sorbsbuster

Create another key field by calculation:

AcctFromOrTo = acct FROm & "<insert Pilcrow, return character here>" & acct TO

and use that to relate to.

• 2. Re: Portal Problems
            amtrakpdx

Sorbsbuster, that worked perfectly!

Thank you!

Allyson

• 3. Re: Portal Problems
              amtrakpdx

Hi Friends,

This solution worked well but now when I create a Layout which shows the AcctTo field it just shows the key number and not the AcctName.  How do I get the name to show?

TIA

Allyson

• 4. Re: Portal Problems
                philmodjunk

We'd need to know how your database is designed to answer that.

The following is a guess:

Is the AcctName field a field from a related table? Perhaps AcctTo is formatted as a pop up menu in it's original layout so that its value list enters the key number, but displays the name? If there is a valid relationship based on this field to the table where you have the name, just include the name field from that related table on your layout.

• 5. Re: Portal Problems
                  Sorbsbuster

An easy way is to create the account name in the same table as you are dragging the AcctTo field from.  Just make it = AccountName by the realationship it has back to the Accounts Table or wherever the name is stored.