3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2010 2:19 PM by philmodjunk

Portal Question

rowing190

Title

Portal Question

I have a question regarding the export of the contents of a portal. At least I think that is my question, perhaps there is another solution.

Each contact in our contact database has at least one title code abbreviaton designating their function - CEO, Art Director, etc.  Since many contacts have multiple titles, there is a second table entitled title code table. The title code table is comprised of the contact id and the title code (and is related to the first table through the contact id field). Finally, a third table is the title group table. This table is comprised of the title code and a title group (and is related to the second table through the title code field) Instead of querying the database with multiple title codes, the title group allows us to query similarly related titles - all marketing related titles, for example - which all have the same group code assigned to them.

Here is my question. I have employed a portal in the contact database to display all of the title groups of an individual contact. That is fine. The difficulty is that the display is vertical rather than horizontal. When the contact record is exported into Excel, all of the fields are exported into the same row in Excel except for the portal field - which is exported vertically into fields below the main row of fields for that contact. Is there a way for the portal field to be exported horizontally rather than vertically? Or do I need to create a new calculation field in order to do this?

Thanks so much for any help that you can offer.

• 1. Re: Portal Question
          philmodjunk

You could use the list function for this.

Define a calculation field as:

Substitute ( List ( TitleGroups::Title ) ; ¶ ; ", " )

Export this field instead of your portal.

This list will have the format: title1, title2, title3...

by modifying the calculation details you can get other formats or even combine several fields in the list.

• 2. Re: Portal Question
            rowing190

PhilModJunk

Thank you so much for the calculation. It works great. Is there a book that you would recommend on how to write calculations for Filemaker Pro? I do not have training, so while I know the logic of what it is that I want to accomplish, I do not know how to translate that into a calculation.

Thanks again.

rowing190

• 3. Re: Portal Question
              philmodjunk

I'm afraid I'm self taught--starting with a degree in computer science and a math minor.

I suggest researching a site like Amazon for books on filemaker, there are several offered, and looking at the reader reviews should help you decide which might be best.

There are also tutorials available, several other sites with filemaker forums, and you are welcome to continue posting questions here.