2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2013 10:01 AM by BryanSantos

Portal Questions

BryanSantos

Title

Portal Questions

Guys, I'm having trouble coming up with a solution.

Here's my scenario:

- I am trying to create a simple restaurant POS app

- In the order screen: order table fields are displayed

- There is a portal that contains the order line items

Problem:

- What I want to happen is to have two sections (one is where I can select the food items and set quantity, so this is just a menu..) (two is upon adding an item, i want to have a portal that displays all the current food ordered)

is this possible?because in the usual invoice, invoice line items are added IN the portal row. i want to have a separate section where to add (so i can show pictures of the food). i just want the order details portal to display everything thats been ordered

• 1. Re: Portal Questions
          philmodjunk

If a container field in your "products" table contains the picture of that product, you can add a portal to all products and set up a button in that portal row that uses the Product ID of the row that is clicked to create a new record in the line items table and thus it appears in the portal to items selected. You can also format an object in the selection portal that looks and functions like a check box and then you only need one portal if that sounds like a good idea to you.

To get a portal to all products, use the X operator instead of = to link to a new Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? of Products.

See the Checkboxes layout of this demo file for an example of what I am Describing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyir7cs0yxmbn6i/ManyToManywDemoWExtras.fp7

If you are using FileMaker 12, open this file from the File menu to get a copy converted to the .FMP12 format so that you can open it up and examine it.

• 2. Re: Portal Questions
            BryanSantos

Thank you very much for the quick reply... I am kinda new to this so I'm still tinkering. I will try what you suggested and update this thread.

It may take a while since I'm not that familiar yet, but really, I appreciate it.