3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2012 8:54 AM by philmodjunk

Portal Records Not Sorting

JosefBalles

Title

Portal Records Not Sorting

I have a two portals next to each. One is to a join table that allows me to select records to relate to the table I'm viewing and the other portal automatically fills with other fields from the table I'm joining. I want to sort them by the same value so that the records stay next to eachother, but as I select records in the join table portal, they don't sort.

• 1. Re: Portal Records Not Sorting
          philmodjunk

Why do you need two portals?

If you have this relationship:

Table1----<Join>---Table2

On a layout based on Table1, you can combine fields from Join and Table 2 in the same portal row for a portal based on Join.

• 2. Re: Portal Records Not Sorting
            JosefBalles

How do I do this? When I click on "portal setup" it only allows me to display records from one table. I'm using FMP 11 if that makes a difference. -nevermind I figured it out.

And it turns out they do sort, just not how I want them to. I want them to be sorted by a unique ID that is an automatically generated serial number. I want them sorted in ascending order. For example, it will sort numbers 3, 5, 11, 15, 45 like this: 11, 15, 3, 45, 5. It's reading '5' as '50' instead of '05.' The portal that automatically displays the records I have just chosen to relate does sort correctly. I'm a little baffled by this. They're the same numbers.

• 3. Re: Portal Records Not Sorting
              philmodjunk

I does not limit you to FIELDS from one table however. You can add fields from related tables--which you will have in this case.

WHen you add fields to the portal after first adding it to your layout, you'll get a specify fields dialog where you have a drop down for the table occurrence from which you are selecting fields. Just select the other table from this drop down and you'll see the fields from the other, related table.

If you want to add fields to the portal after the fact, you can use the field tool to add fields to the portal just like you would to any other part of the layout and you again have that drop down for selecting the table occurrence from which to select fields for the layout.