7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2015 6:56 PM by philmodjunk

Portal Report Question

JammieSchmunk

Title

Portal Report Question

I have a question that I really hope is a simple answer...

I have a report that has different number of entry's on each separate entity . One time I have 5 entries; the next time I could have 15. When I run a report how can I "adjust it" to accommodate the number of entries? I don't want blank lines nor do I want it to cutoff. 

Thank you so much for your help!

• 1. Re: Portal Report Question
          philmodjunk

You actually have two potential solutions to that problem. The most flexible option that will work with any number of portal rows and even allow you to set up portal fields to have variable lines of text per field, is to set up a list view layout based on the portal table with fields from the parent table included in the header, footer or grand summary layout parts. You perform a find or use Go To Related Records to bring up a found set of the records listed in your portal on your current layout and then print or save as PDF.

The more limited but easy to set up option is to make your portal taller (with more rows) than you ever expect to need for your printed report. Use the Inspector to set the portal to "slide up" and to "resize enclosing part". As long as you don't have more portal records than will fit in this extended height portal, this will work--though you can't set fields inside a portal row to slide up. Thus you have two limitations here that you don't have with the list view layout option.

The invoices starter solutions found with Filemaker 11, 12 and 13 all use the list view layout method for printing an invoice with it's related table of InvoiceData (lineItem) records so you can examine one of those starter solutions to find a working example of this method.

• 2. Re: Portal Report Question
            JammieSchmunk

I have spent the last few hours trying to figure out the first option (I originally did the 2nd which didn't produce the results I was looking for) yet I'm not sure how to make all this work together. Do you have any suggestions?

Again, thank you! 

• 3. Re: Portal Report Question
              philmodjunk

First of all, you didn't say that you had multiple portals. That's a big detail to leave out. I see at least three here with possibly more hidden inside your other tab panels.

Please describe the report you want and what related records from what related tables need to be part of that report.

It may be that you have no choice but to use a portal set to slide up to get what you need if you have multiple related tables involved--it depends on how the relationships map out.

• 4. Re: Portal Report Question
                JammieSchmunk

It'll all comes from different tables. All the portals on the tabs and the one at the top of the page are all based on the policy number information on the top left. 

Attached is the report I created yet I need the portals to adjust to the number of entries. 

If it's not COMPLETELY obvious, I am very new at FM.

• 5. Re: Portal Report Question
                  philmodjunk

Am I correct that each portal refers to data in a different table?

From what I see here, portals set to slide up are your only option short of some complicated work that I can't recommend that someone new to FileMaker try.

a) At the very least, open portal setup for each portal and double the number of rows specified for the portal. You'll need to move the lower portals down so that nothing over laps. Depending on your data, you may need to specify even more rows.

b) select each portal, not the fields in the portal and set them up in the inspector to slide up and to resize the enclosing part.

Note: the resulting layout is for report printing/previewing only. You'd use a different layout for data entry where you keep scroll bars on your portals and work with a smaller number of rows to each portal.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
                  3. Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
                  5. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
                  7. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
                  9. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
                  11. Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
                  13. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
                  15. In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.
                  • 6. Re: Portal Report Question
                    JammieSchmunk

Just one more question: When I do the slide which works well, how can I get the portal not to break across a print page? 

Like on this example How can I force notes to start of the next page when the portal above fluctuates in size?

Thank you!!!

• 7. Re: Portal Report Question
                      philmodjunk

I believe that you have a form view layout here. If you change this to a list view layout, you can get the same result by limiting your found set to just one record. Then you can divide the body layout part into 2 or even three parts by adding leading and/or trailing grand summary parts and use these to put the portals into separate layout parts. You can then double click these layout parts to open part setup where you can specify that they not break across a page break.

If you need to do this with multiple records instead of just one in the same report, you can use sub summary layout parts above and below the body and use the record's primary key (unique identifier) as the "when sorted by" field in these parts (Then be sure to sort your records by this field.)