4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2015 3:53 PM by philmodjunk

Portal results for several records not showing correctly in table view

MarkPage

Title

Portal results for several records not showing correctly in table view

Hi,

I have a Form Layout, and in it I have a one line portal which gives me Yield Class pertinent to the parameters of that record. 

When I look at the table view of the all records in the portal column I see only the lowest common denominator for that field. What I need to see is all the various Yield Classes, so (once in a spreadsheet) they can be viewed, or manipulated.

The data is emailed/exported to desk of non FMP users so they can play with the data to their hearts content.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Cheers

Mark

• 1. Re: Portal results for several records not showing correctly in table view
          philmodjunk

Little hard to picture exactly what you are dealing with here...

A Table View on a layout based on which table? The parent table or the portal table?

You can't use a portal in a table view so the above question is the first issue that comes to mind.

And what exactly do you mean by a "lowest common denominator"?

And what is a "Yield Class" and how do you produce the value shown in that field?

• 2. Re: Portal results for several records not showing correctly in table view
            MarkPage

Hi Phil,

The portal is on a form (of course)...

On the form is three parameters (amongst many others): Height, Age and Species. When these are filled in the Yield Class is put in based on the table 'Yield class'. The table Yield Class has only 4 fields: Height, Age, Species and Yield Class.

What I called the 'lowest common denominator' is the lowest yield class for a given Height Age and Species. This is what appears in the exported spreadsheet, and is meaningless.

If a portal can't be shown on a table, is there a way to show the individual yield classes for each record in a spreadsheet/table view? Perhaps another field on the form that autopopulates with the contents of the portal?

Grateful for any help, as ever.

Cheers

Mark 

• 3. Re: Portal results for several records not showing correctly in table view
              MarkPage

Hi Phil,

I manage to work this out for myself:

I created a simple wee script that is triggered by leaving the last field that is required to be filled in for the look up to work.

Go to Portal Row [First]

Copy [select]

Paste [Select];Forest_data::YC]

It copies that Portal entry and pops it into the YC field. When I export it as a spreadsheet, the YC is carried over, and now my clients can fiddle with the data to theirs heart's content in MS Excel.

Thanks for your comment anyway, as it stimulated a bit of thinking on my part as I replied to you.

Cheers

Mark

• 4. Re: Portal results for several records not showing correctly in table view
                philmodjunk

I suggest a different method for your script. Copy/paste will destroy any data previously copied to the clipboard by the user and this both confuses and irritates users. It is also fully avoidable as there are other script steps, Set variable followed by set field that can achieve the same result without copying data to the system clipboard.

I think that you can do this without any script at all by specifying a sort order in your relationship so that the related record you want to export becomes the first record in the set of related records.