8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2013 7:09 AM by philmodjunk

Portal row Record 0 - Add text without creating a new record

shae1725

Title

Portal row Record 0 - Add text without creating a new record

I have a portal which is set to add records.

I have a container button in each record  with color sets from a related table.

What I want to be able to to is add an image or text to the container button in Record 0 (new record)

ie "Add New"

Also how do you stop a portal row from highlighting? ......... I have layout field highlight turned off!!

• 1. Re: Portal row Record 0 - Add text without creating a new record
          schamblee

You have to have a record to have data in the record. You could use a global field in a separate table or a related table.

If I understand correctly you want to add an image  "Add New" to your portal.   If so you would not put the image in a container but on your layout like any other object.  The image could be setup as a button.   Take a look at the invoice starter solution.  All the icon buttons in the starter solutions have been added to the layout.

I assume you are use 12 and the highlighting you referrer to is part of the theme and can not be turn off.  You have to select a theme that does not have highlighting.   You can modify theme by modifying the css, but that is not supported by filemaker.

Take a look at this post Field highlighting?

• 2. Re: Portal row Record 0 - Add text without creating a new record
            philmodjunk

Why would you put this button in the portal row if it is for adding a new portal record? Why not have just one such button placed outside of the portal?

• 3. Re: Portal row Record 0 - Add text without creating a new record
              shae1725

It works well in the portal row, its also visually intuitive and avoids extra buttons and scripts etc!

As you can see from the picture the last record being the last empty one! surely it must be possible to have something populate the button?

As Im still a novice using FM I might be assuming anything is possible!

• 4. Re: Portal row Record 0 - Add text without creating a new record
                philmodjunk

If you are adding each new record at the bottom of the list of records in your portal, enable "allow creation of records via this relationship" for the portal's table occurrence in this relationship and no button at all is needed, you can just enter data in the blank bottom row in your portal. No button's or scripts required.

Or you can set up a sort order for the portal that lists the newest record first. In that case a single button (avoids extra buttons), near the top of your portal can perform a simple script to create a new record in the portal's table.

And if "allow creation" is enabled for the portal, you can add a button to the portal row and it will appear in all rows of the portal and also in the blank "add" row that "allow creation" causes to appear in your portal.

• 5. Re: Portal row Record 0 - Add text without creating a new record
                  shae1725

I have "allow creation" set.

The fields with the color swatches in them are buttons.

I need to know if I can add text "add layer" to record 0 button

I know I can add a button on top of the portal to add a new record but I would really like to make this work as once 6 records appear I no longer can add a layer which is exactly how I want it to behave!

is it possible to use a condition to fulfill my needs?

• 6. Re: Portal row Record 0 - Add text without creating a new record
                    shae1725

Got it sorted using a condition!

Many thanks

• 7. Re: Portal row Record 0 - Add text without creating a new record
                      shae1725

Still need to be able to rid of portal record highlight!

Any ideas without changing CSS

• 8. Re: Portal row Record 0 - Add text without creating a new record
                        philmodjunk

The highlight is a built in function of how a portal works. It will be highlighted any time the user clicks the portal row without clicking an object placed in that portal row. And a script can highlight the portal row with Go to Portal Row if you enable the Select Entire Contents option.

If the entire portal row is covered with either fields or buttons, the user won't be able to highlight the portal row by clicking the portal row background so you might cover the portal row with a large button that uses go to field or go to object to place the cursor in a field in the portal row and then put all your other layout objects in front of this button.