Return to FileMaker.com
Portal Row refresh as you type in a field
I figured out how to make refreshing portal lists based on text input in a field, in case anyone else wants to know here it is. Note, it only works in FM 10
You need to first create a calculation that converts a string from:
You do this with this function:
1. create a Custom function called IndexWord(Text;Header) [first called with empty header string]
tCount = Length(Text);
newHeader = If(Header <> "" ; Header & ¶ );
NewText = Left(Text;tCount - 1)
Text = "" and Header = ""; "";
tCount = 0; Header;
IndexWord(newText ; NewHeader & Text)
2. Then, create a calculation field which performs this function on your field that you want to look up, and Index the result.
3. Then make a relation from a global text field to this calculation field on: globalField = CalcField
4. Once this is done add the portal to your layout and the globalSearch field.
5. create a script with these steps:
commit records / no dialog
Go to Field [the globalField] - DO NOT select/Perform
6. Finally, add a script trigger to the global field which runs this script onobjectModify or onkeystroke
Voila - as you type, the list updates :)
Retrieving data ...