3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2013 2:39 PM by philmodjunk

Portal selection change which post to view in other fields

JohnEriksson

Title

Portal selection change which post to view in other fields

I have a layout that has a portal. When I select a row in this portal I want to have the detailed information about this row coming up in some fields below the portal.

The realtions and correct, but these fields below always shows the first of the related posts, not changing to which row in the portal that is highlighted, of course. One of these fields is another portal.

Think of this as a company layout, with orders inside a portal, when an order is highlighted detailed informtion about this order is shows below, and in a portal here the articles of this order.

So, how do I do this? I've tried with some scripts, but I can't figure it out.

• 1. Re: Portal selection change which post to view in other fields
          philmodjunk

You may want to compare what you have to the details of what is discussed in this thread: Need layout solution for nested portals...

On the other hand, a very small change to your script that causes FileMaker to lose the "focus" on the selected portal records may be at fault. Check for something like Commit Records that may be taking place at the wrong time.

Ultimately, you may need to post your script for others to examine.

To post a script to the forum:

1.           You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post A Answer.
          3.           You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here.
          5.           If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
          7.           If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format.
          • 2. Re: Portal selection change which post to view in other fields
            JohnEriksson

Ah, that was a setup I didn't think of. Thanks.

I managed to get the fields working, but not the portal. The detailed portal shows the same post several times. 

• 3. Re: Portal selection change which post to view in other fields
              philmodjunk

The detailed portal shows the same post several times.

Unless you have duplicate records, you probably have fields from a different occurrence of the portal's table in the detail portal than that which is shown in "Show Related Records From" in "Portal Setup...".